I have outlets in my room that only have two plugs with two holes each, but in need to plug in more appliances. ?

Can I cut off the third prong of a power strip so it will fit in the outlet?

Attachment image

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Andy C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

22 answers!  You asked a good one!

Don't kill yourself. 

• L
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You can NOT just cut the third prong off........it's there for a reason.  Have someone change the plug ins to accept a plug with three prongs.

• 2 months ago

I bought an adapter in Walmart for just a couple bucks plug 3,prong into it and the adapter into the 2 prong outlet

• 2 months ago

Do that and you could start a fire. It's dangerous. That 3rd prong is there for a good reason--and removing it will ensure that you end up with a short. 

Either have the outlets replaced with 3-prong outlets or don't plug anything in that has 3 prongs. Don't be stupid. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

So yeah you can do that or take a plier and just pull out the third prong like it was a tooth.  So long as you plug it in properly there is no problem.  These are the newest style for electrical outlets....you will notice that all computers and TV sets are 2 prong.

• 2 months ago

Install a GFCI outlet. Bottom line.

Source(s): 30 year electrician
  • 2 months ago

@Nuff Sed ... this was standard when older homes were built.  Depending on their age [period when built], their wiring MIGHT have been run in metal conduit with the conduit serving as ground. And, before that, wires were simply run with just their insulation and no ground at all.

Of course, to find out, you have to have a multimeter in order to test the metal box the outlet is in, and find out how to do that test.  Many homeowners don't have one, as well as most tenants.

I've seen houses where a new romex cable was run from the breaker box in order to do this the correct way .. and its easier when the breaker box is in the basement and the romex can be run in the ceiling [instead of the attic]. Two story houses are particularly difficult either way ... visible [and protected] cable run in the rooms become common.

Just cutting off the third prong is indeed dangerous ... and we lived with that danger in the 1950s all the time.  It is far more dangerous near water sources or grounded metal objects such as radiators.

And, I've seen houses in which the owner provided a separate ground to the all metal cold water piping that runs underground ... that ground tested good, even with a sensitive meter properly used.

{The ground in the breaker box comes from a metal rod pounded into the ground.}

Source(s): grampa
  • 2 months ago

Can't you just remove the screw? It should fit then. Hope that helps.

• 2 months ago

The BEST option is to have a professional rewire the circuit with a grounded wire and new outlets.

The option Nuff Sed listed regarding a GFCI outlet with all outlets on the circuit marked "no equipment ground" is compliant with code.

If, and ONLY if the box is grounded, the adapter shown in some other answers is not unsafe. cutting off the grounding plug is only slightly better than sticking bare wires in both sides of the outlet and licking them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Use one of these making sure you attach the grounding lug to the screw holding on the outlet box cover as long as the box itself is grounded.

https://www.amazon.com/3-Prong-2-Prong-Adapter-Gro...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.