Cathy asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Why should I drain the tuna water or oil off? ?

If I'm making a tuna noodle dish of any type and it requires liquid -why should I drain the tuna and waste all that flavored water or oil?  Just curious. I'm frugal and love the fishy taste.  Is there a baking reason I just don't know?  

• ?

There's so little liquid that it shouldn't effect the finished product.

I typically get the yellowfin tuna in olive oil from Trader Joe’s.

Honestly, most often when I’m eating this I’m at work eating it with a fork right out of the can with a handful of Ak-Mak crackers on the side.

I might pour off a little of the oil, but typically not.  When eating it out of the can with a fork there is always leftover oil in the bottom of the can that I discard.

If I’m making tuna salad at home, I will drain off some of the oil and then add mayo and whatever flavor elements I want.

• Cammie

I drain it to give to my cat .

• ?

I wouldn't add the oil to a noodle dish, but the tuna water would add additional flavor, perhaps you could squeeze it on the pasta (noodles).

I save the pan juices from meat I've browned or fried (steaks or chops) and freeze them in small ice cube trays. (Once they're frozen, I pop them out and put into a freezer bag).  Then when I need beef broth or just an additional flavor element for a recipe I'm trying - I throw a few of them in.  

• ?

Its your casserole, you do it the way you want to.

Personally, I wouldn't add the 'can oil'.

• kswck2

Always rinse. Do you Really want oil in the dish? 

• ?

I always drain it so that is "dry" and not a watery mess to cook with,. 

You don't HAVE to but if you leave the water or oil adjust so that you compensate for the extra liquid.

If you are using an oil packed use the oil, brush it on your bread and toast the bread using the oil to brown and crisp it. If you are making a salad and adding tuna use the oil as part of the dressing. 

Water packed does not have as much flavor neither does the water. 

Why not try the tuna packed in the pouches, no added excess oil or water. 

• CB

It removes some of the salt too, but as long as you are paying attention and adjusting liquid and salt measurements accordingly (or oil) I see no reason to drain.

It depends if you worry about the consistency.