Drywall repair?

More asking for personal opinion, so please don't give a toxic response. 

I had a roomate that mounted her TV on the wall. I saw her trying to mount it by herself and she couldn't find any studs so I went in, drilled the right holes, and mounted it for her. She had put like 8 holes trying to find a beam and i put my additional 4 to properly mount it. 

Now she's moved out, and there's about 15 small holes in a pretty tight location. 

I had a handyman come out, and he quoted 400 and I got him down to 300, though this still seems steep. Though he has to match the paint and everything so maybe not.

The roomate only had a $500 deposit. My question is, should I take the full 300 out for the repair, even though I technically helped make the damage? That would be on top of a $75 cleaning fee as well. I would just feel bad only returning $125 of a 500 deposit for what doesn't necessarily seem like a big fix. 

As we were mounting it I did mention that its okay to mount but there would be a repair fee, but didn't think it would be so much.

Let me know your thoughts please! Im a person with too much compassion to feel like im ripping someone off. What would you do? 

spackle. putty knife, plastic. total less than $10.  Paint -- landlord should have this left over. Don't bother with the whole wall ... just artist's thin brush over the dried spackle.

By the way, spackle, patching plaster, and joint compound are all the same thing -- just different amounts of water mixed in and thus different spreadability and drying time.

PS:  This is on her.  Let her pay for the stuff and help do the work.  It was her TV and she'd have ruined the wall much more if you hadn't helped out.

Source(s): grampa -- ya, I've been a landlord, too

Fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it for you. 

Grandpa Spock has it correct both in how to fix it (mostly) and who should be paying.  It really is a simple fix.  Look it up on youtube.  Absolutely no reason for a drywall patch as someone mentioned.  You also don't need an electric sander like someone said.  In fact, I've never heard of using one in this situation and would think you could do more damage.  You just need to sand by hand with a piece of sandpaper.  

BTW:  Sometimes a handyman will quote you a high amount because it's not worth their time and/or they think you have no options and will just pay.  PS:  "buddy knife" and  "speckle".  So close but for certain very wrong.

fill it with putty

It was all for her so she should pay.  no guilt to you.

$50 is too much.

I trip to the GROCERY store hardware isle will get the patch needed to repair those holes.

A small amount of speckle and a putty knife should do the trick.

• y

You contributed to them, you pay half of the cost.

I would also repair it myself with drywall patch. And repaint that wall. Charge her $200 and you made a profit.

I would by a bag of setting joint compound and repair the holes myself. You're looking at a cost of $10 for a bag and $20 at most for a mud pan and a 6" taping knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxGJ5-Th8E

Youtube thumbnail