If Boris targets the elderly - making them stay at home other than for a weekly food trip out, will YOU conform? ?

Why does he feel the need to do this when clearly it's the young who are gathering in huge numbers with absolutely NO social distancing going on?

@ rodcom.   I paid for my Pension when I was working.   So I'm not looking to the young to provide my Pension, even if successive Governments have frittered away what I paid over the years!!

@ 'Anon'   I picked my FA before you added your comment.   Like it!!

The *only* way the government could enforce a lockdown is with extensive curfews enforced by the military - and even then it would still require the co-operation of most people. The police haven't got even CLOSE to the numbers that would be needed. The reason it worked the first time was because people consented - they quite reasonably agreed it was a good idea.

Since Dominic Cummings decided to ignore the rules people it has eroded the goodwill that was there. This was quite deliberate. The government can now blame everyday people as being the reason that Britain has the highest excess deaths in Europe - not their total failure of policy. It wasn't John Smith who neglected to enforce a quarantine on arrivals for months, it was the government. It was the government who went from 'clapping for carers' to saying 'oh yeah, but if you're an immigrant working in the NHS you still have to pay for treatment'.

If the Johnson regime didn't seek to put business over people and insist that everything was OK (in England at least - Scotland and Wales have been far more sensible) and rush to reopen then we'd be in far better shape.

I do not know who the Boris is that you ask about, however, considering how disrespectful people are I have tried to limit the amount of time I am out in the general public.  I worked my a** off earning my retirement, and because of the economy; lost over 50K on 9/11, which I have never been able to regain.   I have even considered having food delivered so I do not have to go out.  The Government has not made me stay at home, the people where I live have made me not want to leave my home , I have this silly stupid feeling that I am safer in my house.

I already pretty much conform to that now.  The people out there are ruder than ever and they have no concern for anyone except themselves.

NO!   Not a second time.  I became ill and in much pain through the restrictions placed on us the first time and am still not very well.  Unless it were set in stone (by law) I would be going out, complete with mask and stick and getting some daily exercise at the very least. I would still avoid going into the homes of others and into small shops but, otherwise I'll be spreading my wings a little more. I agree that it was the young who were foolish (and uncaring of others) so why should we sacrifice our freedom again, let the young be left housebound for a few months instead.  If they have full time jobs they should keep working but then be indoors once home until work commences again the next day.  As for the out of work young people let them have a taste of what we went through - ISOLATE, ISOLATE, ISOLATE and, if caught out and about, prosecute them.  They need to share the responsibility, it should not fall upon us again.

I have already been kept indoors for more than 3 months and have spinal problems and some difficulty walking because of it. I went out today walking about half a mile and was absolutely shattered when I arrived home.  I used to walk quite a lot before this virus attacked us.  I will not adhere to any new 'rules' or 'advice' if Boris decides it must be repeated. 

The ones to be locked down next time, if there is to be a next time, must be the young. They are the ones who don't conform and did all the partying in places that had been locked up etc.  Let them have a taste of no freedom for a change and let it be policed if that's possible. We've done our share as we usually do. Enough is enough.

• Jojo

Yes, I will conform as I`m still `twitchy` anyway about going anywhere where there are lots of people that I don`t know.

This virus is still strong and active and who knows where it will rise up again and  strike next. 

Let the young do as they like and if they come a cropper then its their fault. 

I know some people are exempt from wearing a mask but there are still many who refuse to conform to wearing one when shopping and it makes my blood boil.

Anyone who blatantly refuses to take precautions to protect themselves and other people deserve to be infected by Covid19 and would get no sympathy from me, be they young or old. JMO.

• Laredo

As one of the elderly,  I have already stayed at home and only went out once a week for a food shop when it was lockdown. So if Boris says we have to do it again then yes I will conform, out of 100 people who died of Covid19, 85 of those people were over 70, so as someone who is 75 - I will conform again!

Boris just needs to educate the younger ones and show more films of the people who have had Covid19 and the struggles that they are having getting back to normal.  The films will show the younger ones and the doubters that Covid19 is not to be messed with.

• rodcom

Because the elderly are more apt to be able to stay home since most are retired and they are the greatest at risk.  Who is going to pay for your government pension if the young people are not out working and paying taxes?