Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it wrong to replace broken toys?

My 4 year old often breaks his favorite toys, I've explained to him that he needs to take care of his toys but I understand he is a child. Is it wrong for me to replace a broken toy with a new one? 

It really depends on how the toy broke, if it was an accident or mishandled by another child then it would be ok to replace it but not right away though. For example, you can get him a new one for Christmas or his birthday. If it was done on purpose or it happened out of carelessness or he was playing roughly with it, then replacing it would be wrong because then he'll learn " If I break my toys, I'll get a new toy".

What I found to be helpful when it comes to those type of things is to to recite avagadro's number in my head 2 times in a row without messing up as it helps keep the brain refueled with information, sort of like an exercise... but for your brain.  Though make him recite avagardro's number to your child to discipline and assert your dominance :)

If it were a matter of the toy being damaged by accident, or by mishandling from another child, then replace it. If your child is breaking it on purpose and assuming you will just replace it, then no, let him suffer the consequences of his actions. Giving in and giving him what he wants is only teaching him to be an entitled brat. 

Nope, once they break just move on. Plus not giving everyday and saving giving for bd and holidays.

Replacing toys that he breaks just teaches him to keep breaking them

Only replace said toy as a b-day &/o holiday gift zxvwgjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• LizB

I've done that on occasion, but only when it truly was an accident and my child wasn't disobeying instructions or abusing the toys. For example, just a few months ago I replaced a little light up phone toy of my daughter's, because she threw it in the bathtub. She didn't know electronic toys couldn't go in the bathtub, and she found out why when I showed her the toy had stopped working. She was very sad. I told her I'd try to fix it by putting it outside so it would dry out, which unfortunately didn't work, so a few weeks later I bought a new one and placed it among the rest of her toys. As far as she's aware it's the original toy. But now she listens when I remind her that toys with batteries can't go in the tub.

My daughter it only 2, though. I think 4 is old enough to be taught not to abuse possessions or property. If you tell your kid, "Don't do that to your toy, you'll break it," and then he breaks it, then replacing the toy he knowingly broke just teaches him that there are no real consequences to ignoring instructions or rules.

Yes.  Doing so fails to teach a more important lesson ... consequences.  Plus a 4 year old's desire for toys changes so rapidly, that a replacement of an old toy would not be appreciated as it was originally.

If you want to teach him that destructive actions have no consequences, keep replacing things.

If you want to teach him the very valuable life lesson that our actions have consequences, do *not* replace it or any other toy that he breaks through carelessness.

It is time to teach the child that broke means broke and gone - not that mommy is going to go buy a new one.

When the child is 10 and he throws the game controller at the TV and breaks both his game system and the tv - are you going to have the money to replace both - because that is what you are teaching him to expect.

From a very young age - my children knew that if they broke it - I couldn't (wouldn't) replace it.  

It should only be replaced if the problem is with the toy and was no fault of how the child handled and played with it.  

Yes. If he breaks them he should not be rewarded with a new one.