Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Build-up of hard, caked-on residue, deodorant stains. How can I get rid of these?

There's hard stuck on residue, mostly deodorant stains. These are from multiple times the clothing has been worn, buildup.

They are on the under arm areas of some of my favorite shirts.

I have tried letting the clothing soak in the bathtub. I have also tried mixing a paste of baking soda and vinegar and applying that to the stain. None of which has worked.

Are there any products that I may buy, which specialize in deodorant stains?

• drip

Sweat stains, or deodorant?   You use way too much deodorant. 

Beside pre treating, you need to get a soft brush and scrub the area a little bit. You need to pretreat the garment before every wash, not let it build up. 

I would use white vinegar and a brush. Soak for an hour first, then gently brush the stain. Try an old toothbrush or a new toothbrush for kids,

Are you telling us that you wore the clothing for the day and then hung it back up without washing it or pre-treating? Ewwww. The clothes you wear should always be placed inside of the dirty clothes basket after you pre treat the stains that are visible, at the end of each day, then washed. Do not wear your clothes and then hang them back up because they look or feel clean, because that is not the case. This also goes the same for jeans because I have known people to wear jeans and then either put them in the freezer or hang them back up because they don't look dirty. That is misleading and gross of course those clothes are going to be dirty at the end of day. The fumes from whatever you cook or on there, Grime from the city, dirt from where you walk is stirred up and sticks to your clothes, when you cough or sneeze particles of spit fly onto your clothing, are just some of the examples that make your clothing filthy and dirty throughout the day. Quite obviously sweat, tears, other bodily functions you perform will also stick to your clothing and need to be washed at the end of the day for that reason. It might not be visible to the naked eye but trust me it's there. Since you have gone so long without treating those stains I'm sorry to say the articles of clothing are ruined unless you want to spend extra time at a laundromat continually washing in very hot water and using different kind of treatments.

Trash the clothes and get a deodorant that works

Sounds like it's way past time to launder or dry clean your clothes.

maybe talk to a dry cleaner ?? (or, the stains are permanent)

Try switching to gel deodorants?

Something like vanish, don't know where you are but that's sold in the UK. If you can't get that a similar strong stain remover gets rid of most things.