Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Which part of Texas title do I fill out? ?

I’m buying a used motorcycle and need to transfer the title to my name from the current owner. The current owner of the motorcycle is the second owner, which would make me the third owner upon purchase. 

There are four boxes on the back of the title which read:

ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE

FIRST REASSIGNMENT DEALER ONLY 

SECOND REASSIGNMENT DEALER ONLY

THIRD REASSIGNMENT DEALER ONLY

Which section should the current owner and I fill out? 

Sounds like you best bet is for both of you to go to the DMV office together.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-...

This is not rocket science. Unless the seller is a dealer IT HAS TO BE SIGNED ON THE TOP LINE that says "Assignment of Title". If the sellers name is not on the front of the title then he / she cannot legally sign the title over unless they are a licensed dealer. 

I cant see that but Im pretty sure the part in yellow is where the seller signs.  You don't need to sign anything until you get to the dmv except maybe a bill of sale.

Number of prior owners is totally irrelevant.  Only the owner can sign it over to one retail buyer. The dealer reassignment spots have nothing to do with your deal.

Fill out the form in the DMV office when you apply for a new title.  Ask the staff at the counter.