Can landlords limit the amount of people living in your household?

I know a couple who live in a town house and went under it went under new management.  The new landlords of the buildings have said there are to be no more than 5 people per household which sucks cause they just raised the rent 300 and the couple I know have 3 kids so they are not allowed to get any roommates.  Is this legal.  

In California if that helps

15 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, it is perfectly legal. You see, the mechanical systems...septic and water are designed  for x number of occupants  which is typically determined by number of bedrooms. 

Rules are rules for a reason. If you cannot afford the higher rent, then move. Perhaps get a place with an extra bedroom so that you can then have a room mate help share the expenses.

• 6 months ago

Yes, landlords can limit the number of tenants in any one unit. Tenants can be limited due to lack of bedrooms.  It's perfectly legal.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Of course they can.  There is excess wear and tear in an apartment that is too small for the number of people living there.  Bigger families also use more utilities.

• ?
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

A friend of mine rented an apartment, and the landlord not only told her she couldn't have a room mate, the lease stated in writing conditions for overnight visitors. (Long ago, I don't remember if it was a certain number of nights in a row or nights a month.)

Another friend of mine signed a rental agreement to an apartment he had looked at when the tenant above was a couple.

The day he moved in, new tenants moved in above: a family of six. Within a week he told the landlady the noise level was unacceptable and made arrangements to move again. 

Basically  if you owned an apartment building, a home or townhouse, YOU wouldn't want an unlimited number of people living in it, either. 

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The kind of people who *don't care what the living conditions are* are frequently the kind who'll trash a place that doesn't belong to them.

People who have three kids and limited income would benefit from learning to use birth control, not crowding their kids into one room to move in a stranger to live with them.

I learned the hard way. A  *friend of a friend* needed a place to live 'for a few weeks.' I was told his children would occasionally visit. It ended up with Tenant, his kids, and his estranged wife (because there was an issue with him having the children unsupervised) And then estranged wife was bringing her grown children from her first marriage to visit and stay the night. ("I want the children to know their siblings") So, rented to one, had four, plus two more adults visiting and spending the night. Estranged was bringing her laundry and the children's to do at my house. (Why pay to go to a laundromat?)They were pigs. I found half-eaten food under the clothes they left behind. Not in packages, just sitting on the floor.

One lousy tenant can cause all the good ones to bail out. No landlord needs the hassle.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yep.  The fire marshall dictates how many people can live in a dwelling.  So the only time when that restriction could not be inforced if it is the same family Mommy is preggo again, and again and again and again???? Then the house would be too small for 10 or 12 of them.

. You are confusing single family residential with multi family dwellings(which is a rental)  It is taxed as income making property(like a business) Hotels can have multi families in them and they pay taxes for that type of business.

California or Timbuktu, it don't matter.

• car253
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

What city in CA  The couple need to READ their lease agreement. They are still under the OLD lease agreement from the old owner.   That agreement did not change unless they signed a new lease agreement with the new owner, big mistake if they did.     The old lease agreement is still in place with the new owner.     

• R P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, it's legal.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yes......................................................................

• Expat
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, completely especially if the people aren’t all immediate family members. 

• 6 months ago

Yes and no.   There are guidelines in place regarding the limits.  A landlord "can" limit the number of people based on the number of bedrooms or square footage..  As long as it is a reasonable limit.    I belive in CA the guideline is 2 per bedroom plus one.   So if they are in a 2 bedroom home..  5 could be considered a reasonable occupancy limit.

Depends also on specific local laws.

Theres no black and white answer..  Theres several variables, such as the number or bedrooms/areas that could legally be used as sleeping areas.

What a landlord cant do is have occupancy limits in place that only apply to families with kids.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.