James asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 months ago

Will Movie Theaters might close down?

I heard movie theaters might close down forever it can't be because of the Covid. they never give a reason why 

18 Answers

Relevance
  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Restaurants, bars, barbershops, clothing stores....a lot of everything might close down now with Covid pushing them over the edge.  Consider for movie theaters, they may have been closed for a couple months while still paying rent, the may have a limit on customers allowed in the building, all the block buster movies for this year postponed their opening dates.

But also consider for all those things closing down, is an opportunity for a new one to open up.  Maybe start from scratch and fresh, maybe buy a bankrupt business or some cheap assets.They have been saying theaters were dying since back to the invention of TV.  And the numbers seem to decrease year after year.  But it sure hasn't happened yet.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The small ones will not the big ones.......

• 4 months ago

The reason why is because most movie theaters are not outright owned by the movie chain.  Their buildings are mortgaged.  If there is no income, they will reach the point where they can't make the payments, in which case the banks will get the theaters.  So there is an excellent chance that a lot of theaters will shut down.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The majority of them in the UK have not re-opened because of financial difficulties....it's a sign of the times.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

they won't close. Nothing beats the experience of seeing a movie in imax 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They were already struggling due to streaming services and the internet. Not being able to open at all or only open at half capacity was the final straw.

• 4 months ago

They are already opened again where I live.

• 4 months ago

I think we're already at the point that at least SOME movie theaters are done forever.  Or at least, they'll be sold to some low bidder who will open the profitable ones back up after a vaccine arrives.  

Why is pretty obvious.  Money.  The movie theater itself hasn't been a particularly lucrative business for decades.  The movie distributors are the ones with all the power, and they dictate ticket prices and what percentage of the take they get.  Most theaters only really make money on concessions (which is why theaters push concessions so hard).  Some movies are actual net losers of money for the theater...they're just ways to get people to come and buy overpriced food.

Then covid hits and these theaters had to shut down.  The studios don't want to release any real big movies while covid is around, so every hit movie has been delayed indefinitely.  Even those theaters that have opened (have any?) would make little to nothing.  And yet, most theaters occupy high rent space in malls and busy market areas.  They have payrolls to meet.  Taxes to pay.  

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of theaters closed down and then were reopened only well after covid, but under new management.  The movie studios/distributors might actually be the ones that have to reopen them.

• 4 months ago

Video On Demand(VOD) was already getting more and more popular. With COVID-19 the theaters had to shut down. This meant that some lesser movies went straight to VOD instead. Polls have shown people would rather pay for VOD and watch at home then go to a theater in reasonably high numbers. This is getting Studios to consider just using the steaming services instead of theaters. Right now there is no way to say for sure what will happen. I saw teh one chain was trying to make a deal with Universal(I believe) to have a short window before movies went to VOD so that at least they got something. This was in the news just a few days ago with an article about Cinemark wouldn't agree to a deal like that. 

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I doubt they will close down forever, but it might be some time before they reopen.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.