How do I join the edges of the laminate. ?

I want to cut a curve on my laminate countertop. The extra edge strip that it came with is much thinner than the laminate of the existing edge. Once I cut and sand the curve, how to I apply the edge strip over the cut curve so it blends in with the existing edge strip where the edge is straight? Not where the edge meets the top. 

cut the front edge of just the laminate back a little more to where the substrate hasn’t been cut, this should make them more flush across the face once the new piece is applied

• Mr. P

You could try sanding the rear of the new edging strip so that it will be a thin edge, then use a clear epoxy to bond that edge as it will have removed the glue. It makes a very thin join that hopefully won't be noticed.

You will need to use clamps and a wedge to apply pressure to the joint, and probably greaseproof or wax paper so the epoxy doesn't stick the wedge to it. Try and do this final bit last or you could end up with it at a slight angle and will go wrong from there.

Sounds like you will end up with a step in the laminate unless you can pare some of the flat laminate away to make, in effect, a lap joint where the two pieces meet. Only time I have done this was to cover the entire edge, in those days you always ended up with a black line at the junction with the top, so it had to be all done as one.