Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How do I deal with my daughters choice?

Her boyfriend is a good kid. He’s done well for himself and has everything  in order. 

My daughter is moving into his house to live with him. 

She’s lived on her own since she was 18. I just don’t like the thought of her sharing a bed with a man. She’s still my kid. 

It’s a beautiful home, he’s a great guy (I was suspicious before I met him because she said he was younger) I just don’t want to think of what they may be doing together alone. 

• SW-6

Think of it this way - she has to deal with every choice YOU make for yourself whether she likes it or not.  It is YOUR life, not hers.  You are grown and whatever bad may come of your mistakes is YOUR cross to bear, not hers.  Now, take out every reference of you and put your daughter in that space.  There's your answer.  :)

If she’s lived on her own since she was 18 and now moving in with this boy I’m assuming he is 18+ years of age and so is she so... hate to say this but your daughter is an adult and most likely is already doing what you think she’s doing. Infact you’d know for sure if you were open and honest with her. It’s fine, everyone eventually does have sex. You’re just gonna have to understand that she can make her own decisions. If it doesn’t turn out good then well, everyone makes mistakes. If it turns out great then good for her. 

If he wasnt tapping it someone else would be.  Actually grow up she did.  She can bang whoever she wants she doesnt need your permission get a life.

its obvious. The boy is threatening you in some way. I not knowing you or the situation can't place myself on "your side" because you put some story up claiming to have some "daughter". You need to speak with people that know you. See yah!

All you can really do is have an open and loving relationship with her. Talk to her if you have concerns without pushing her away. 

• GB

You were also someone's kid, and at some point shared a bed with a member of the opposite sex. Do you seriously want your daughter to live the rest of her life as a single person? 

• car253

You do not say your daughter's and her boyfriends current ages.    But what matters is the he is responsible and a good person.   But age matters.

I suggest that you get a hobby.

Then don't think about it. It's not unusual to try to infantilize our adult children but accepting that she's grown and that sexuality is part of a grownup's life is something you're going to have to work on. If nothing else remind yourself that the only way you'll ever have any grandchildren is if she has sex with someone. 

• Helen

She's over 18. This is your problem not hers. I suspect you may need counselling. Your concern over what your daughter does with her genitals is not normal.