Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

What is required for a philosophy to be considered a religion?

Does it have to include God? 

I was reading the Tao Te Ching, not a lot of references to a higher power.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Religion is a concept that didn't exist in Europe before Christianity. If you asked an ancient Greek to name his religion, he wouldn't know what you were talking about. He might tell you about his worship of the gods or what school of thought he follows (Stoicism for example) but those were altogether different things. The idea of a code of ethics received from God is something we got from the Jews. In the Greek tragedy Antigone, the heroine says that no one knows the origin of ethical precepts.

Hindus and Buddhists have the word "dharma," which is translated "tradition,"  or "path." We call the dharmas of the Hindus and Buddhists religions because no other word quite fits. Buddhism is not considered a philosophy because a philosophy is just a system of ideas. It's like calling dentistry a philosophy.  A Buddhist has said, "We believe in gods but we don't worship them." Their attitude toward deity is much like the Epicureans, who saw the gods as remote, not concerned with human affairs. Some Buddhists have no supernatural beliefs at all. 

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In as much as philosophy can guide and instruct how life is lived it may be considered as a religion. In as much as it doesn't influence actions it remains as a subject of academic study. 

Philosophy is a broad subject. Part of epistemology is the validity of belief, ethics, and metaphysics which examines the fundamental nature of being.

Religions vary greatly in their beliefs regarding the existence of God

• 2 months ago

Philosophy and science have studying things with general patterns; whereas religions are about incidental. Religions are supported by spiritual experience which is only happening on some individuals ( or those selected by God ). Science and Philosophy are based on measurable data, e.g. the lengths of a triangle.

Nevertheless, the common factor of philosophy, science and religions are about your abilities , not about powers - power do corrupt. Tao is about vanity - the world from non-existence to existence, then naturally back to non-existence. ( Remark: nothing is actually meaning non-existence. )

• 2 months ago

The higher power is who the I-Ching is talking to.  It is one of those tools higher powers use to brush and stroke themselves.  Actually it is a wonderful feeling as each brush and stroke brings me closer to myself as I coordinate with it.  Love it.  Well, I'm not much of a higher power.   But the I-Ching treats me as if I was one.  Hopefully that gets transmitted at least.  If not I don't know what is got out of it.  It sort of loses its sense of direction and use and meaning if it doesn't transmit that to its user.  Let philosophy and its logic chew on that for awhile. It turns out to be very thick matter for philosophy to take apart.  Fortunately philosophy appeals to higher powers too as they love to go over it in a logical way.  It is all so stimulating for any higher power.  Higher power being the reflective activity of the brain, the mind, mental activity reflecting the refractions in the brain.  The individual social being.  The human with enough intelligence to consider thinking to be a higher power.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Read the various dictionary and encyclopedia definitions of "religion" and then use your own intellect to decide (if you have any, that is). 

• Religions try to provide answers for all of life’s questions and they are firm on that they know what that is. Religions proceed from a set of basic premises which are its tenets. From these tenets the religion is inferred and for any situation applied. 

Philosophy is an expansion of known facts and known judgments formed in response into a system which exhibits internal logical consistency. When you begin with nothing, not even the rules of logic, what matters is the consistency of the elements within the whole. 

We may not know what the whole is, we just have pieces but we do know that the whole has certain properties of consistency within the whole. And we should aim to formulate such a whole into which everything we have learned fits.

Perhaps a religion becomes a philosophy when it admits change into its doctrine. It may be possible to integrate the two in a manner which do not interfere. Science digs up the dirt. Philosophy provides the structure. And religion assembles the beliefs and aspirations into the home for which we are looking.

• 2 months ago

Neither does budhism....they are both humanist where man is god

• User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, it need not be theistic.

Basically, it has to have the properties mentioned in the definition of the word "religion":

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion

and also it has to have at least a few followers, people who attempt to live their life according to said "code of conduct".

• Dejair
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

One collective rite to connect the participants with the God .

• 2 months ago

What is required for a philosophy to be considered a religion?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.