Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Why do bankers hours exist (in the USA)?

The problem being everyone works 9am to 5pm so if you need to go to the dentist, post office, tax man, etc who also work 9am to 5pm you have to take a day off work. While on Saturday and Sunday when you've got nothing to do and still need to run your errands, nothing is open.

"Everyone" does not work 9 to 5 Mon to Fri.

• East

My dentist, post office and bank are open on Saturdays.  Yes, it's aggravating to have things open only when you're at work, but (1) find a new bank and dentist and (2) be glad you're not in continental Europe, where NOTHING is open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays- not even stores, in some cases, at least when I lived there in the 1990s.

Banks in my area are open half days on Saturday. There is also a drop box at the ATM to make deposits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Also, there is on-line banking you can use 24 hours a day, seven days a week to transfer funds and use your bank account to pay your bills. There are ATM cards that can be used as credit cards or debit cards. 

Call your bank to find out the free services they offer to make banking so easy. 

Ask your employer if they offer direct deposit paychecks.

Banking today is the easiest and most convenient than it has ever been ever before.

I agree with what you're saying. I live in the Northeast and see it slowly changing, hopefully. Some of our banks have a presence in super markets and offer hours on Saturdays and Sundays. This is only one example--my best friend is a teacher and has a dentist who practices in her area on Saturdays and Sundays (he lives in NYC and rents space in central Connecticut).

maybe cause everyone likes having their wknds off

In the US the banks close to the public at 5:00 but the employees often spend another hour or two closing up. Many banks in the US also now have Saturday hours. But these kinds of "9-5" jobs also tend to let people take time off for things like dentist and doctor appointments. 

Wage per hour exists by the law. 

My local bank is open to 6pm on certain days of the week.  You can't go to the bank after work?  You can't use the ATM?

I don't know where you live, but where I live almost no one works 9 to 5 because most people work 8 hours, and a 9 to 5 schedule doesn't allow for a lunch break.  Thus more often people work 8:30 to 5:30 or first shift 7-3:30.  Your problem appears to be that you think everyone else should work when it is convenient to you.  Your other problem is that you think you need to take an entire day off to make a doctor's appointment. 

• drip

Bank online at any hour of the day or night.

Banks have been opened for a half of day on Saturdays for decades.