Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Do rubber claw pads really work on cats? My kitty is destroying my house. ?

Nail caps? I used them for a bit but it's easier just to trim the nails.

i have 2 scratching trees and trim his nails - he never ever had any urge to destroy my expensive leather sofa and arm chair. so maybe u should try buying those first and trimming his nails, much cheaper than torturing your cat at a salon. besides they will try to get them off and it will make your cat stressed and upset

Yes I use them for my cat it's much better then declawing 

• Ocimom

If put on properly they will help.  You have to glue the nails on - ask your vet to show you how to do it.  But you still will need to trim the nails before you put the SoftPaws nail caps on.  And they only last about 6-8 weeks.  I would rather just trim the nails every other week to minimize any damage.

Be sure you are providing a good tall treehouse scratching post (minimum of 5 feet tall).

They do but I prefer keeping my cats nails clipped and providing appropriate places to scratch. 

• Angel

Try keeping your cats nails trimmed short, you may want to train your cat where it’s okay to scratch.  We needed to revert to a vinaigrette water to teach the barb cats the leather couch was not an enemy to kill or eat.  After several warnings and a couple squirts they found using the cat post and big jungle tree not only got praise but had real meat treats here and there to make it worth their whole hunting there.

We also found on the cat jungle gym that adding a weighted feather or ten, a dangle toy, shiny toy and a pinch of catnip on a spot that moved around every few days makes it much more worth their while.  My cats spend on average 40 minutes hanging on the cat tower checking out what I’ve modified on it that day.  I even had fresh fish once!  The Siamese was used to catching and eating live goldfish out of the pond.

As for the nail caps they do work but your cat may hate them to begin with.  I had one set put on at the vets, they showed me how to do it.  My cat got rolled up like a sausage which he oddly Loved, they then pushed his claws out one by one, trimmed them then glued the caps in place. At first he decided he was crippled and couldn’t move but the vet dropped a metal pwn, the cat jumped up and ran to me running this way and that between my legs hoping to be picked up.  Aside from shaking the pas here and there he used the litter box fine and did everything normally including trying to attack the new chair and trying to tear up the dog bed.  The nail caps leave no marks and do no damage.

• PR

My daughter used to work at a grooming salon and she said people seemed to like them. The grooming salons should be able to apply them correctly. 

I agree that you should trim your cat's claws. Get a tall cat tree and place near a window. Spray catnip spray on the cat tree. We use one that has one pole with jute roping and the cats like that a lot. 

Some cats like the cardboard scratchers, too.

Some people suggest that if the cat is scratching on your couch, to inflate balloons and tape them to the area where the cat typically scratches. One "Pop" should end the interest in that area.

Other cats who scratch too much may like to get outside. They can scratch on trees, and walk around. This way they can use their energy in the outdoors.

go try getting some and see and then you'll know

I’ve never heard of rubber claw pads, but have you tried just clipping the cat’s nails?