? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 6 months ago

Is a grammatically incorrect script something writers do on purpose?

For example, I watch TV, sometimes the actors will say "Johnny and me are going fishing tonight" when it's grammatically incorrect and supposed to be "Johnny and I are going fishing tonight" So Is that the screenwriter's choice? 

Many people do say things like "Johnny and me are going fishing" although grammar books disapprove. So, yes, I would assume the author knows it's considered incorrect but also knows it's what that character would say. But I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that the author didn't know it's considered incorrect.

Typically, yes.  It is intended to give a feeling of real behavior.  People do say things that way.  The story is trying to show how the thing would really happen, whether or not it fits some possible rules that might apply.

In a fictional story, the job of the writer is to represent how the characters would really have talked. This is quite different from academic writing. Since most people under 35 say "Johnny and me", that would be an accurate depiction of that character, and would reveal the character's lack of education. 

Oh that's one of my biggest pet peeves when people say I could care less.

Yes, that would be a choice for the character.  The worst case of writer stupidity I've ever seen was in the West Wing where Toby, the President's speech writer, happily told everyone he "could care less" about something. The correct term is "couldn't care less" and a speech writer should have known that, so should the show's writer.