Is it OK if my Toyota Camry burns 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2600 miles?

I bet it means the engine is slowly dying. But it may run like that for another 20k miles or longer as long as you never run it without oil.

How many miles?  200k+?

• Rick

WAY TOO MUCH.  take it to a mechanic and see if it is maybe leaking ...............

It must be ok with Toyota because a lot of their POS cars burn oil.

• M.

It's ok with me. 

Is it ok with you? 

Why not identify the year and its odometer reading?? 

Some people have oil burners at 75,000 miles, while others don't have oil burning issues until 300,000 miles.  I was just wondering where you are. 

I have seen cars burning or leaking massive amounts of oil for retarded reasons, like a stuck PCV valve or a plugged oil return drain hole in a cylinder head.  I have seen relatively new cars making a smoke screen, because the engine had a cracked piston.  You didn't really tell us anything to consider, just Toyota Camry.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

Many vehicles will use oil at that rate. If you don't change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles besides burning more oil you're going to end up with a $1,200 repair bill to replace the cam advance actuators too! Checking your oil level and topping up the oil to the upper dipstick mark every 1,000 miles between oil changes is critical to keep a motor running properly.

Just keep an eye on the level until it is a quart low, then add. Suppose that is 3500 miles or so.

The next time don't add, but change the oil and filter.

You will find you are actually just adding one extra quart every 7000 miles or so, just a different way to think about it.

What year is your Camry?  if it is fairly old, that would be normal.  If it is still under warranty, take it to the dealer.

• Erik

That's not too horrible, even if you drive a lot that's only about two months.  Put a big piece of flat cardboard under the car overnight, and see if it's leaking.  Older cars sometimes burn oil, and there's no remedy but to rebuild the engine.  $$$$$$$$$$

No.  Oil is a closed system, a proper functioning vehicle should not burn any oil.