Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 6 months ago

Can I run the AC in my car during a drive in movie?

I have a Toyota Prius 2013 and just want to make sure my battery won’t die. Is it okay if I run my AC the entire time during a double feature 4 hour movie?

Sure,  as long as you run the engine too.   The battery is not sufficient for that length of time, specially if it is not out. 

EPIC DUMBASS FAIL. Read your owner's manual.

• Erik

A drive-in movie?  Are you serious?

It is OK with me.  But you will annoy everyone around you.

"Can I run the AC in my car during a drive in movie?"

Short answer is no, your battery will probably drain beyond its starting capacity.  And this has nothing to do with AC by the way.  You will not benefit from the AC system unless the car is running because they compressor is driven by the motor through a fan belt.  But just running the fan for two hours even without the benefit of AC will probably drain your battery to the point where you will not be able to restart the engine.

UPDATE - Oops!  My bad.  I see this is a hybrid.  So the answer is that the car will start up to recharge the batteries.  I'm not sure if AC is available while the engine is not running with this particular model of hybrid.

.

The car should automatically turn on to recharge the batteries if the battery gets low.