Am I wrong for wanting to upgrade my car?

Hi,

So I am now a Junior in college and I bought a used 2009 Dodge Caliber last summer (currently at 106k miles). The car itself seems to run "okay" but I paid around $2000 for total repair months ago. 

I currently have $8000 in savings. I would like a better car due to the fact that I have 2 jobs lined up in the medical field. I also receive VA benefits from my mom being disabled. I live far from my family so I personally feel that upgrading my car wouldn't be a bad thing..but my family seems to think it is. 

I have estimated that I would have 8000 (savings) + 1500 (trade-in) = ~$9500

I also get $1300/month along with working at my jobs...so I feel like I wouldn't have a problem with struggling to pay.

I am looking at buying a 2020 vehicle Toyota Corolla which is around $20,000

Honestly, I am also angry because my 17 y.o cousin got a car paid for when she turned 16...and she just got a used Jeep from my aunt. I feel hurt that I never got treatment like that...and I know that buying a car out of anger is not great...but I also feel that I would be able to handle a car payment also.

What do you think?

• Jay P

A college student does not need a brand new car.

During my college years ( and after I finished my schooling and until I was established in my new job ) I drove a 10+ year old Mazda.  Sure, I had dreams of a new(er) car but there were far more important things to spend my money on than a depreciating asset like a new vehicle.

FYI: a 11-12 year old Dodge Caliber with over 100K miles isn't worth $1500 at trade-in.  I'd guess more like 1/3 to half of that...

Well,school punks "yeah you are a punk" is AVOIDING THE REAL WORLD OF WORK by hiding in school.(when you could be earning an income with a real 7 to 6 job.

. Punks are unrealistic about job prospects when they get out.  There are University graduates that could only get a job DIGGING DITCHES.  Employers have a job. If you are over qualified for it that is too bad for you.

, Toss that education out the proverbial window. You take what you can get. Shoveling schit if that is the job available to you.   You will ALWAYS BE ON THE LOWEST RUNG OF THE LADDER. because you applied LAST.

So, do you EVEN NEED A CAR?  You got to factor in insurance which will be higher the newer you go, the more horsepower you go and EVERY CAR MADE NEEDS SOME REPAIRS.  A newer car, the parts cost more than an old beater, and the cost of fuel is going to be several thousand per year on average.

Mom is not going to live forever and once she dies the VA benefit STOPS(as it was meant for her-not you)  That is a fact.  That is how that system works.

It is no use complaining about a relative that got stuff while you didn't.

Cousin got it from HER MOM.(your aunt)

She deserves it.

You presently got a car and got all these job lined up and you are collecting money (which you shouldn't have) from your MOM's VA Pension. Basically stealing. instead of working for it.

I believe you should go into debt BIGTIME & BUY AN ITALIAN sports car and burn it with no insurance.

Because we at Y.A. want to see you suffer.

That is what I think.

You have no business spending $20k on a car.  I am 57 and have never spent more than $9000.

BAD IDEA. DON'T DO IT UNTIL YOU ARE OUT OF SCHOOL, HAVE HELD A GOOD PAYING JOB FOR A YEAR, AND HAVE BUILT UP YOUR CREDIT WITH A REVOLVING ACCOUNT ON A CREDIT CARD. YOU MAY NEED THAT MONEY TO MOVE AND SET YOURSELF UP WITH A PLACE TO LIVE AFTER YOU'RE DONE WITH SCHOOL. SO, STUFF YOUR EGO BACK INTO YOUR PANTS AND KEEP DRIVING THE DODGE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LUCKY AND SPOILT YOU ALREADY ARE.

• Scott

Of course a 2009 Dodge Caliber is going to be used. We know you didn't buy a new one.

• CB

Stick with the car you currently own -  I bet the 'repairs' were nothing more than normal wear and tear items that needed attention anyway. Tires, brakes, alignment etc. As long as it isn't limping along on a bad transmission - keep driving it - it is free......figure a car payment will be between 200-300 a month - only takes 10 months to offset what you spent on repairs.

How long will you continue to get the disability benefit from your mother ? 

You should buy a better used car and pay cash for it ....You most likely don't have the credit score or income to purchase a brand new car.

Stop being jealous of your cousin.

You should not go into debt for a car when still in college, nor would you necessarily qualify for a loan. You could buy a used car better than the Caliber for $9000. Since you just sunk $2000 into the Caliber, my suggestion is drive it awhile and get your money back out of it.

• ?

You don't want to spend all your savings on a down payment.  You don't need a brand new car.  One that's a couple of years old is a much better value. Look at buying something that is coming off lease or off a rental fleet.  You may also have trouble getting a loan since you probably don't have much of a credit history and don't have a steady job yet.

I think you should stick with the vehicle you have and save your money.  If something major happens, like a blown engine or a failed transmission, that would be the time to junk your vehicle.  Keep saving.