Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

If every old person can get into a retirement home care facility on Medicaid if they qualify, then why would there be any homeless seniors ?

It would be dumb to choose homelessness if the govt will pay for the retirement home. 

I tried retirement home.  I got my contract cancelled after 6 weeks.  People were nice, but . . . . 

-not enough programs

-too many walkers

-the place was DEAD after 6:00 pm everyday

-food was cold, not monitored for portions, freshness, no pride by the chef in charge, I did talk to him

-for what I paid, the food was terrible

-not just me, but plenty of people are lonely there; I mentioned that to the staff, went right over their underworked heads

-I actually ended up helping the maintenance staff because I was bored, and they needed a push some times

My clue to you:  Over priced, not all homes want Medicaid, not all seniors want Medicaid either, for that matter, not all homeless want to be in a home

• kswck2

Medicaid is not for homeless. Medicaid is for people that need Medical Care and cannot afford it, having NO assets to pay for it. 

"on Medicaid if they qualify"  well, I guess those who are homeless are those who DO NOT QUALIFY.  Where you live, is homelessness the ONLY alternative to a retirement home on Medicaid or are there other possibilities and choices?  

Every old person cannot get into a retirement home care facility on Medicaid. There are not enough retirement homes for everyone who would like one.  If seniors are GENUINELY homeless they should be helped by family if that's at all possible or should seek advice on the subject. There are charities who deal with this problem and they'd be the best first place to seek help and advice.

The retirement home is not usually a facility for everyone. Most real retirement homes are private pay and people don't need much care at least at first and may have to be moved to a different type of facility when they deteriorate. Nursing homes in NY State go by a PRI test to see how the person scores. Scores indicate what the NH will be paid. So you and I would be level 3, the lowest revenue producing, but some people who can do everything for themselves still need care. NH would rather have someone who needs rehab as this is the highest paying level. NH can't have many level 3s as they would not be able to continue to afford to operate.

Some homeless may not have insurance. People who never worked do not have Medicare. Some homeless get social security and save this so they don't qualify for Medicaid. Remember the homeless woman who had over $50,000 in her shopping cart? Some homeless have mental issues and are paranoid about asking for help or going into a facility of any kind. Others don't know how to get help or refuse help. Many are on drugs and know they can't use in a facility. 

They can get help like that BUT only if they want to, Some homeless folks do not want a handout or want help from anyone.

Some of those folks live on SS or Welfare but choose not to live in a faclity, since maybe they like how they live..I would just leve them alone and let them live out their lives the way they like to.

• Jeremy

Perhaps some people, when younger, did not do their homework to find out just what is needed for them to qualify once they are old. If you know someone in this position and also know what they need to do then be kind and give them the advice that they lack at the moment.  Being old has its own problems without being short of money for healthcare.

Medicaid only pays when it is MEDICALLY NEEDED for the person to be in a retirement home care facility.  There are many older people who just don't have a qualifying medical condition that would get their care covered.

You may also be mistaking "assisted living" with actual nursing home care facilities.  Medicaid doesn't cover very much of "assisted living" and the rest needs to be covered by either the senior's own money or other insurance plans.  

Bottom line - the government doesn't pay as much as you might think it does.  

For one, because some seniors don't want to live in nursing homes. Some seniors would rather be homeless than live in a nursing home. Maybe that's because of mental illness. Maybe that's because they're alcoholics and can't drink in those places. Maybe that's because they feel like that's like giving up and waiting to die. There are lots of reasons. 

Have you been to a nursing home? I can tell you that the last place in the whole world that I'd ever want to live is in a nursing home. I'm not saying I'd choose to be homeless instead, but I might, especially if the nursing home I got put into were bad enough. They are wretched, horrid places that stink of piss and decay so bad that visitors commonly cover their nose or plug their nose when they walk into those places. 

If you can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to live in one of those places, then you haven't been to one of those places.

Retirement home aren’t free. And if you don’t have insurance to help out? It’s insane