Mom gets blood draws at home every 2 weeks(arm) it's painful.Would it be ok if I put a pain relief spray on her arm an hour before the  draw?

The phlebotomist admitted her company should have a numbing cream for the elderly patients, but they don't give it out.

I have lidocaine cream and pain relief spray I can give my mother before her appointment. Are they safe to use before a needle stick?

• Edna

I don't understand why you say blood draws are painful for your mom.  Blood draws aren't painful. You don't need to give your mother lidocaine cream  for pain relief before a simple blood draw. As you said, it's nothing more than a simple needle stick.

Besides, the alcohol that they swab on her arm before the blood draw would wash away the lidocaine cream.

the alcohol swab where the needle for drawing

blood will remove any numbing spray you put

Here in the UK lidocaine cream is routinely applied to children before they have blood taken, it's safe for toddlers so it's not going to do any harm to an elderly person. The following link explains how to do it safely and when not to use it but if you have any doubts speak to a pharmacist. https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/lidocaine-for-skin/#:... I have a lack of collagen in my skin so at least once a year I have 70 injections in my face and under my chin to stimulate collagen production. It's really painful so before the procedure a thick layer of strong lidocaine cream is applied and it doesn't affect my heart rate. I also have trigeminal neuralgia in the left side of my face and use a weaker lidocaine cream on my face everyday without incident. 

I wouldn't. Topicals anesthetics really don't work well on that type of skin. And lidocaine cream is absorbed which might lower her heart rate. The pain of a venipuncture goes beyond the skin's surface anyway, so I doubt those agents would help much. I'd recommend applying an gel ice pack several minutes before the blood draw. Just try to numb a large area with cold to reduce the sensation.

Go to an MD and ask, this is not the proper forum for health issues.

Step 1 of inserting a needle: REMOVE anything on the arm.