Is it necessary to smoke in the car after a five minute ride from church?

My grandmother (70s) usually takes her aunt (my great-grandmother's sister and my great-great aunt) to mass each Saturday afternoon. She in her mid-90s and enjoys going to Church. The problem is my grandmother and her friend, who also goes to mass with them, like to smoke in the car, and my aunt has trouble breathing and can't be around smoke. Now she says as much as she loves going to Church, she can't ride with my grandmother and has no other way to get there.  

My grandmother and her friend light up as soon as they get in the car after mass and smoke like chimneys. I think they are being selfish; there is no reason why they can't smoke outside the car or wait until they get home (the Church is only 5 minutes away from my grandmother's house) I thought once my aunt said that she could go because of the smoke, my grandmother would stop. Instead, she said that it's best that my aunt stop going to mass. Her friend (a slave to fashion) says that my aunt wears clothes from the 1970's, and is embarrassed to be seen with her in Church? I think my grandmother is being selfish and is not handling this situation well. Am I correct? Is my grandmother being selfish to my aunt or am I mistaken? Usually once they drop her off, they go to the casino so they could smoke on the way there?

Casino after Church? That says it all about them really. They are ignorant if they smoke while a known non-smoker is travelling in the car.

It's very selfish of your grandmother, but it is her car and your aunt can choose not to ride with her if the smoking is bothering her.  

• P.L.

NO!  is the answer to your question.  Anyone, regardless of how heavy a smoker the individual is, can leave their cigarettes in their bag for a 5 minute ride then do all the nasty puffing they want once in their own space.  Buy some NO SMOKING SIGNS and place them in the window by the seat she occupies in the car.

Noooooo! Period! I'm a cigar puffer myself and I never drive and smoke nor smoke in the house. And I would never smoke around anyone who has trouble breathing even if we were outside!

For me personally that would be a NOOOOO!!   My car is a strictly no smoking area.   Just tell them not to smoke.   Easy.   Sorry if I've mixed up who owns the car!!

And for me, it's not necessary to smoke - period!

• Zirp

No, of course it isn't. Let them smoke outside the car before getting in.

No, tell em to smoke outside while you wait in car ...its what I make my hubby do.

• Judith

I smoked for 25 years; quit in 1989.  Smoking is highly addictive.  For a smoker to go without a cigarette for an hour is difficult.  They light up as soon as they get in the car because their addiction to nicotene is greater than their concern for the health of your aunt or themselves.

Your aunt needs to find herself another means of getting to church or crack a car window.  And if it is only 5 minutes to church, perhaps she could consider walking.  It would do her good.  I'm sure she could probably find someone at church who would be glad to pick her up and take her home.

• Jojo

Obviously your Grandmother and her friend have not yet acquired any sympathy or empathy for anyone older than themselves and do not like doing anyone any favours that may involve giving up their own pleasures. 

If the church is only 5-10 minutes away from where your aunt lives I suggest she and  calls a taxi !! I assume she can`t walk far or has not got a mobility scooter.

JMO.

• Murzy

As soon as the key is in the ignition, some people light up.