Ceiling Fan Install?

Installing a ceiling fan where one used to be. Older home. I’m seeing the box has 3 tubes with wires coming into it and when I uncovered it they were all wired together .. Should I proceed with installing fan wires combining with all. I attempted one combo with one set and got nothing. 

I should also add whoever worked on it last clipped the black wires on all 3 sets leading into the box .. white, green stayed and were tied into one another .. 

• Boy

there should be a black and white wire that is wirenut off, you tap into that area to do the wiring on your fan, ground usually screws into the box itself or any open wire that don't have a coat, or at worst the ground is disregarded altogether, 

• Edwena

You need to get a volt meter and figure how the old fan was set up.  Like lights, fan and switches. Ideally, you have 2 wall switches, one for the fan and one for the lights, and the lights may be operated at multiple switches on different walls.   But don't disconnect what is existing.  It will really mess you up having to put it back together.  You might get a book and look at circuits to get the logic of how wires are connected.

Of course the wires need to stay together. They feed power elsewhere. You need to pigtail off them to power the fan.

depending how old the wiring is, colors COULD be anything.  MIGHT let a pro do it ..................................

• Dze

you really need a meter lol .. im sure some are switched and some are hot .. you need to figure out where your at there ..