Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 2 months ago

Is the 427 SOHC Cammer the best V-8 Ford ever made?

• Bill

It depends on what one thinks is best. The SOHC 4.6L engine is probably the most durable. Many have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles without needing a rebuild. The Windsor small block was used in production vehicles for 40 years and is still available over the counter nearly 20 years after that. It’s compact, easy to work on, and inexpensive. Some think it’s the best. The Coyote engine produces the most power for its displacement and is efficient and clean, but it’s also complicated. Some like the Boss 429. Others like the FE engines. Personally, I love the 427 SOHC but I can’t afford one and I don’t have a car to put it in. If I could, I would. 

Best? 

Do you mean best money maker?

289-302. 

Most powerful? 

Maybe.

Most powerful in a small package?

The modular motor.

The 5.0 in the newer Mustangs that produce 460 HP would be hard to top.

Imo the 300 (4.9L) inline 6 was one of the very best ever made. It was bulletproof, easy to work on, had lots of torque and was used in cars, trucks, racing, generators, boats, and many other applications. 

The 427 cammer was great but engine building has progressed immensely since the 60s. That 427's power rating (between ~610 and 660hp) was measured in gross hp.  The equivalent SAE net hp (how engines are measured today) is about 20% less than the gross rating, so "660hp" back then is about 530hp by today's standards. 

Ford has made a few V8s that have surpassed that power rating dating back to 2004 in the Ford GT for example, not to mention some of the V8s in modern "Shelby" branded GT500s that have far exceeded it.  And the newer V8s are far more efficient, they pollute 1000+ times less, they're not a huge pain to keep in tune, they're considerably more durable etc.

• May

It may be, it may not be.  That remains to be seen, doesn't it?