IS IT SAFE TO EAT THE PIGEONS IN NYC?

I have eaten HUNDREDS of pigeons (called squab in fancy restaurants) - but they were raised by my grandfather, who bred them as show birds, and more often - racing pigeons.  Best of accommodations, food, cleanliness, etc.  But when sending out a new group on their first timed flight, he would look to the sky and say (in Polish) - "If you are slow - you are in the fry pan!"  The street birds we saw in the city, he called "rats" - good for nothing.  You might as well eat a city RAT as a city pigeon.

Probably not. Please don't try it

I really wouldn't suggest it... but if you cooked it sufficiently it would technically be safe. 

Yes as long as you cook it. Don’t you watch bizarre foods. Andrew went out with a guy and they went pigeon hunting. They used a rock to throw at pigeons and afterwards, cooked and ate them.