Is It true I can't get anthesia if I want my tongue pierced in Texas?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, that's true. Anesthetic drugs can only be given by a doctor.  And no physician is going to risk their license by giving you a lidocaine local and let you just walk out. Plus, it wears off in about 20-30 minutes, so that would be pointless anyway.

The only thing you might do is buy some Hurricane gel and apply it yourself. It's benzocaine which is the closest you can get to the more potent, injectable agents. It's what dentists use prior to the shot that numbs your gums.

• Laura
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes this is true.  

You cannot get anesthesia for any piercing.  You have to be awake to get properly, correctly pierced.  

You cannot get any numbing for a piercing either.  This is because it effects how your body reacts to the piercing, causing more damage to you than if you had not had it numbed.  

This is the general rules for piercing, not just in Texas.  

If you want your tongue pierced, you have to be awake for it.  

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Would you really want to be asleep with your mouth open and some guy you don't know is fishing around in there?

• 2 months ago

i would ask your doctor about it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I can't believe Texas would try to discourage tongue piercings by outlawing anesthesia.

The thing is, anesthesia must be administered by a qualified doctor.  I'm sure you could actually do it by getting your piercer to come to a doctor's office, have the doctor anesthetize your tongue with novocaine, and the piercer pierce it.  It'd be kind of expensive though.

Also I think your tongue would get really sore when the novocaine wore off in a couple of hours.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.