Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

best way to improve vocabulary?

grew with a tough childhood, pulled out of class. I was wondering if there is a way of improving my communication and expanding my vocabulary. Any websites or class recommendations? 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I have been hearing a lot about vocabulary building apps most recently this one: www.beebl.io. You should test it out and tell us what you think. All the best!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Books, newspapers, magazines, scientific journals, pamphlets, and anything else you can think of. Come on here and answer questions, and read the responses of other people. That will expand your vocabulary in a hurry.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I used to read the dictionary for fun. I'd just skim the pages until I found a word that was interesting and then I'd write it down along with the definition. I think if you do that weekly it'll probably help 

• 2 months ago

Read a lot is the key to boost your vocabulary. Use a dictionary whenever you come across an unfamiliar word. Practice the words you have learned as best as you can. Writing down new words will help you a lot.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I was expelled from school at 15 had my first job  the next day and I read as a result I know more about the USA than most Americans

I have 100 books on WW2 read research study Language

and you will find that Americans dont speak English

• 2 months ago

as others advise,read  read read, books sell for 50 cents in thrift shops

learn vocab,,avoid these,, they are far more common that professors of arcane points of grammar cover in class,teach's love minutae,, these are everyday booboos

heard from all ed  levels,radio the net sosh sties librarians,political commenters,,,,expediate,,excape,excetera,axe, tv reporters, business people,sequel prepay preboard,prequalify,preregister take any verb,future plans past history true facts true history,factual history,normalcy ( because the public insists on using this,merriam webster said : I give,,it gives  word status' return to normalcy,return of some semblence of normalcy,, some semblency of normalcy,( judy hsu,abc tv,  semblency,roseann tellez, CW wgn9,the second one)heard from all ed  levels,radio the net sosh sties librarians,

• 2 months ago

Read, read, read and I don’t mean yahoo.com. Readers digest is a good magazine to read. I believe it has a a page or two just dedicated to vocabulary. 

Read different books and magazines. Read science fiction, scientific, fantasy, detective, historical books. 

Buy a dictionary. Start with the first word and go down the list. Find 10 words that you don’t known and learn what it means, how to use it, etc. 

• Regwah
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Free rice is a fun vocabulary game, each correct answer goes to filling a bowl of rice that is donated.

https://freerice.com/categories/english-vocabulary

• Ben
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Actually a great way to do that is by simply reading books on a regular basis. Keep a dictionary nearby to look up new words.

• 2 months ago

Go to a used book store and buy cheap paperbacks and a good dictionary. That is really all you need. That and a lot of reading.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.