Why do neti pots sometimes make my sinus problems worse?

Sometimes i seem to get even more congested after using the neti pot or have a very runny nose that when i bend over the mucus squirts out. Am i using the neti pot incorrectly? Do i have to use warm water or cold or room temperature? Sometimes the neti pot seems to give me more mucus rather than clearing up the mucus that is already in my sinuses and nose.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favourite answer

You want the water to be close to body temperature. Clean the pot with dish detergent and hot water before every use. Depending on the water purity where you are, you may be advised to use distilled water. Add the salt in pre-measured packets or use a mix of sea salt and baking soda, 1/3 teaspoon for every eight ounces of water.

Gravity should allow all the water you poured in to pour out again within a couple of minutes at the most. If you can still feel water in there, try gently blowing your nose or creating suction where the nasal passage enters the throat.

• 3 months ago

Rinsing out your nose helps with the symptoms but it doesn't deal with the cause.  If you have a lot of mucus all the time, it's a sinus infection that could be bacterial or fungal.  If it happens seasonally, it's an allergy.  You need a doctor to find out which and treat it.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

your using the wrong water

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

use filtered or distilled water. steam clean the pot before you use it. try to get everything as sterile as possible.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.