Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 2 months ago

Can I sue my University in the UK?

I spent over £27,000 to study in the UK. I studied Business Management and Human Resources at University of Westminster. It’s been two years and I can’t get a graduate or entry-level job in HR. 

When I apply for jobs I realised that I have not been taught anything about HR at University. 

For example, 

Key areas of responsibility will include compiling contracts of employment, on-boarding, company benefits administration pre-employment checks, exit interviews and acting as the first point of contact on HR queries whilst also monitoring the HR -inbox. You will also be accountable for co-ordinating the annual appraisal process, assisting the HR team with the annual compensation review process and working with the HR team on all aspects of recruitment administration. As well as updating all the information on the HR system, you will provide regular and ad-hoc HR reports for the business.

I DID NOT LEARN HOW HOW TO USE HR SYSTEMS, PAYROLL, WRITING JOB DESCRIPTIONS, INTERVIEWING PEOPLE, WRITING LETTERS ETC ETC.

MY TIME AND MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. 

CAN I SUE??

EDIT: @TAVY IF I WAS TAUGHT HR AT UNIVERSITY THEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAUGHT EVERYTHING ABOUT HR INCLUDING ALL THE THINGS I LISTED ABOVE WHICH I GOT FROM A JOB DESCRIPTION. ITS DISGUSTING THAT U THINK ITS OKAY FOR UNIVERSITIES IN THE UK TO RIP PEOPLE OFF!

@ANONYMOUS, SO U THINK ITS OKAY THAT MY HR DEGREE DID NOT TEACH ME ANYTHING ABOUT HR?? OKAY...

Tavy is a lonely village idiot. I am from London, yes...you can sue.

• Zapata

Yes, but it will cost you a vast amount of money to do so. Lawyers cost a great deal to employ in the UK. You will almost certainly lose your case if it is based only on a single job description for a single job, and on nothing more substantial than that.

Yes, it's up to you, what you want to do, students should take advice before going for education in different nations.NB Group provides the best Study abroad | Student visa consultants in Ahmedabad. It offers a worldwide Student Visa and guidance for overseas education in Ahmedabad.

Many people have useless degrees but i have never met an Out of work Plumber

• Clive

What does this have to do with travel?

There is nothing to stop you  sueing them. But to as you would win your case is another matter. 

You presumably researched the course before signing up for it... didn't you?

• F

Ha! Thought a Business Management degree would get you a top job straight out of uni eh?

Maybe if you went to a decent uni, but you couldn’t get in there could you.

University of Westminster marks you out as a loser. Sorry waste of £27k.

• John

Faux-entitled little snot.

• Tavy

HR 

systems can be different in every company.

As with payroll.

Anyone can learn to write a job description.

Interviewing comes with practice.

You can't write a business letter?

Sorry it seems you went to sleep during lectures and had no idea what HR is all about.

UK

Clearly you didn't learn very much if you think you were offered any guarantees of employment. Most 'teaching' in universities is self-directed, meaning it was up to you to read around the subject and study it properly. Most universities, as a condition of entry would expect you to know how to write a letter. If you don't know about anything on the list, suggest you find out about it before applying for jobs.