my new monitor uses a hdmi cable but there is only a round green port for a jack on my computer.  How do i fix it so my speakers will work?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

read your computer manual and it will explain what jacks are for what devices. google it up.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

What is the make and exact, complete model of the monitor, and of the video card?

If the video card is HDMI-equipped, it likely incorporates an audio device.  In this case, you should select HDMI audio as the preferred device in the control panel audio settings.

If HDMI audio is not available, then the monitor would need to have an analog stereo line-in jack to connect to the computer's green line-out.

• Lv 7
    4 months ago

most monitors do NOT have speakers built-in. you have to buy them separately. that is how computers work.

if it DOES have speakers, you need to add a video card to your computer to use the HDMI cable to output it. if you needed a different kind of audio port, you should have checked before you bought it. if you have the receipt, i would return it.

• 4 months ago

If your "new monitor" of some brand and model has internal speakers, the HDMI signal cable could supply the audio signal.  Set that up in the unknown "computer" of some brand and model and operating system and audio system settings. 

Knowing that the green jack at back of a desktop or the headphone jack on a laptop might supply your speakers does not help if you have no plug to insert.

That is all that can be suggested from your details, most of which were missing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

YOur monitor should plug into the HDMI plug on the computer.  Thugh HDMI should carry the audio, it may be one of those that does not. 

Ok, so first, check the monitor for two things:  A jack on the back for the audio, or an extra cable you plug into the computer.  Second, check the settings in the Monitor's setup.  Make sure you have it set to use HDMI for audio.  If there is no separate cable for audio AND the monitor HAS speakers, then you should find a setting to turn on HDMI Audio.  

Lastly, if the above does not help, please post your monitor specs including make and model. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.