Graphics card for video only?

I already have a gaming PC with a RTX 2080.

Down in my basement, I just want to watch movies, not play games. 1080p at least 60 fps, MAYBE 4k at 30fps. Nothing super crazy

Basically I don't want to shell out another $700 bucks. If possible, I'd like to get something good, used, under $100.

Any suggestions?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A GT 1030 or something would work fine for a media PC.

Most Intel CPUs of recent have integrated graphics which should be able to handle video just fine though. Depending on your CPU you might not even need a discrete graphics card.

If you don't already have the PC built yet, maybe consider building one with an AMD APU like the Ryzen 3400G which has built in Vega graphics. It'll handle what you need without needing a graphics card and is a great choice for mini PCs or HTPCs. It can even play games at 1080p on lower settings at passable frame rates.

• 2 months ago

eBay is the place to go for used video cards.  Look for a seller that is not a kid who did not use static sensitive ESD procedures to remove or install it. Avoid the seller with lots of games and kid crap for sale.  Looks for one selling other computer parts - someone doing it as a side business.

That said - why use a computer?  For under $100 you can buy a nice new 32" LED monitor (or larger) what has all sorts of internet connectivity from U-Tube to Hulu and all the big cable channels!!  And you just need to plug it into the wall - it will pull down all the video from your wifi....... or your neighbors WIFI, if you have the password, LOL.

Go visit the re-use area at the dump - and grab a blue-ray player and you'll be all set.

• 2 months ago

Found one on Newegg, the best bet is a AMD Radeon RX 550

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Unfortunately most of the answers are not actually answering your question. If you want another option to watch movies at that resolution, you would need either a normal PC with an i3 preferably or a laptop with an i3 and a display capable of at least 1080p. 

i3's have built in GPU's that'll handle what you are looking for.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Boy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I would choose the NVIDA graphics chipset 

mine was pretty good and it costs around 300 dollars.

• 2 months ago

mmmmmmkay! You can watch YouTube videos at 4k/2160p @ 60fps with the UHD 630 iGPU that's found in Intel's socket 1151 or 1200 processors, as long as you use the DisplayPort cable. 

So a video card like the GT 1030 would more than accomplish the task if you're just looking for a video card. The GT 1030 is the only GT card which can support 4k/2160p @ 60fps. The GT 730 supports 4k @ 30fps but you have to look up the specs of the card because there are 3 different version of the GT 730.

You didn't tell us about the system you intend to use. Are you looking for a used PC or just a video card? Power Supply in the system? An old GTX 650 ti can also support 4k at 30fps, and the GTX 660 can support 4k @ 60fps through the DisplayPort. 

• User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Just get the cheapest 4-star rated PCIe card from a reliable mfgr at NewEgg.

(unless you need something special like DisplayPort)

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%204814%204...

We want to differentiate between those low-level cards, so

The GT 710 is almost three times faster than the 210

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeFor...

Almost five times faster than the 8400 GS

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeFor...

The GT 730 is faster than the 710 (less than 50%)

but we're talking $80 compared to about $50.

We finally get significantly faster than the GT710 with the GT1030 at $84

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-10...

Three times faster is probably worth double the price IF you will be doing occasional gaming, but probably the 710 will serve fine for what you are describing. (It does fine for me watching streamed videos - I have a Gigabyte 710 in my system now - so I expect it will do fine for you in that slightly more demanding scenario.)

Note: HIGHLY recommend the fanless option. Typically they are more reliable (last longer).

• 2 months ago

Assuming you're not planning on moving your gaming PC & the video demands (video playback, MINIMAL transcoding), you could get by with just a Nvidia GTX 1050 for that system, or thereabouts.  New price clock in around $130, so it would likely hit your desired price range in the secondary markets.

If you don't want to deal with a graphics card, you can look at some of the AMD Ryzen processors as they have a graphics processor built into them...  Some to consider are...

* Ryzen 5 2400G (Desktop)

* Ryzen 5 3400G (Desktop)

* Ryzen 7 2800H (Laptop)

* Ryzen 7 3780U (Laptop)

All of these have an RX Vega 11 graphics processor built in, which would give reasonably acceptable graphical performance (completely adequate for video, but more bare-bones for gaming) without getting an actual graphics card.  This would allow you to build a mini or even a micro-PC (with just the basics: CPU, RAM, Storage drive, HDMI port & various USB ports).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Good luck finding a good GPU for $100.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.