Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 2 months ago

How can a depressed fast-food worker (age 25) be happy? ?

I have no kids thank God but I have been at Dunkin for a month and today a customer treated me like I was dumb. He was like ”you don't even know how many pumps of caramel you out in there” he wanted 5 pumps and I counted 5. Maybe I have the word stupid across my forehead or something IDK. Ever since I started the job I have been depressed. I have a high school diploma and I have tried to get better jobs but no luck. I'm about to finish a medical administrative assistant course. 

You're letting things get to you that do not matter. Fast food customers are frequently demanding and babyish. This isn't any reflection on you OR your intellect. It's the customers who treat you badly who have the problems. 

Well you seem to be on the right track with that course.  But realize there will be assholes in any job and they seem to rise to the top.  There will always be abusive customers and bosses and you just have to put up with it and shrug it off because you know what they are.

• Erik

Don't let that kind of stuff bother you.  Instead, be amused by it.  This asshole is freaking out over something foolish.

there is a lot of customer like that just keep working and finish your school

Don't let customers crush you like that.  You knew you counted 5 pumps so you should have told him that there were 5 pumps in there because you counted them.  Don't be rude to the customers but there is nothing wrong with confirming to them that there are 5 pumps in there.  And, without an education, you can't expect anything better than a no education/no brainer job.  When you finish your med admin assistant course, then you will have some education that qualifies you for a better job, as a med admin assist.  Until then, you are just a minimum wage worker, and most of those people are stupid, slow, unmotivated, etc.

• Judy

Ignore him.    It's not you.

• Rain

Honestly just do it for the money, who cares about the customers, I've worked in fast food before so I know working for the public sucks. If there's a bad customer I'm usually responding like "ok" "yup" like whatever lol. At least you have that course to hopefully get out of there.

• A

make the best of it until you get your degree, there are always going to be people who are rude and wrong, don't bring it home with you.  leave it at work