how effective are bandanas as face covers?

Using cloth as a mask is ineffective as it can't trap virus.

• Fred

Using a piece of cloth as a mask is very ineffective as the weave is too open.

The current face masks that people are using to allegedly prevent the spread of the Chinese virus are completely ineffective.

Bandannas are merely flimsy pieces of cloth. They are even less effective than the masks currently being used.

If you truly want to stop the virus, you need a respirator and even eye protection. Everything you say is a lie. It’s rather silly.

• JuanB

Bananas are great at covering you face!  It covers like 90% of you face. You could rob a bank and people wouldn't know what you face looks like because it was covered.

A more relevant question these days would be how efficient it is at stopping COVID.  I will assume you wash it after every 1 hour of use.  Then conclude unfortunately it is nowhere near as well as it covers the face.

They are effective, as you can cover your face quite well, especially if it is a bigger one.

From an article in The Sun: "While banadanas and scarves will give you some protection, experts have found they are not as effective as surgical masks.

Experts now say that masks and coverings can be split into two distinct groups: respirator masks which are designed primarily to protect the wearer, and cloth face coverings that could be considered to act more as breath diverting devices."

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12131102/are-bandana...

From WebMD: "Homemade masks may not be as effective as the N95 mask in protecting you against coronavirus as you think. However, they serve as a reminder to not touch your face."

Source: https://www.webmd.com/lung/qa/do-cloth-handkerchie... 

From USA Today: "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that COVID-19 spreads mainly through respiratory droplets when someone who is infected coughs, sneezes or talks, making cloth masks an effective way to lessen the transmission of the coronavirus."

Later in the article, it says: "But the CDC does note, “A cloth face covering may not protect the wearer, but it may keep the wearer from spreading the virus to others.” By wearing a cloth covering in public, the spread of the virus can be slowed by lessening the transmission to others.

Lisa Maragakis, an expert in infection prevention at Johns Hopkins Medicine, says in an FAQ on coronavirus and masks that while cloth masks are not medical-grade, they may be helpful in nonpatient settings to “contain coughs and to remind people to not touch their face, but they are not suitable for providing medical care to patients.”

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020...

Great for covering the face, useless for preventing Covid 19.

Here is what I suggest, and you might not like it:

Put one on your face, and then get someone else to spray your face with something that you could actually taste. If you are able to taste something in your mouth while wearing a bandana then it would be a bad idea to wear a bandana to protect your face.

While you wear a bandana keep your mouth open while someone sprays you in your face. If you can taste something, or even smell something then a bandana won't protect you from getting infected.

Make sure whatever a person sprays at you does not damage the eyes in any way, so you would have to find something that can be sprayed into your face without hurting your eyes, and it has to be, for the purpose of being able to taste, or smell something.

Just to let you know I already did this test while wearing a specific face mask.

Currently I have several different face masks, but I think only 1 of them is very good. I got a woman to spray something at my face while I wore my face mask. I was not able to taste anything, and I could not smell anything either. Ummm....I don't know what she sprayed at my face. She never told me what it was, but she did ask me if could taste something after she sprayed at my face, and I said no. In other words what I was wearing protected my face from what she sprayed at me, so I think if someone were to cough, or spit, or sneeze at me, and it lands on my face mask then I should be fine.

I am a male by the way.

They work just as well as all the other pieces of cloth people are slapping on their faces. Having ear straps does not make a mask into a medical device. Putting an extra layer inside the mask doesn't make it any better.

Unless you are wearing a minimum N95 rated mask fitted for you, a piece of cloth is a piece of cloth. All of the mask regulations just say you have to have your face covered, they do not specify anything else.

Rock the bandana!

The small size bandanas are terrible for adults.