Someone "corrected" me for saying "often" as "offen" instead of "OFF-tin". I'd learned that the "t" is silent; when did this rule change?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Every time you cross a border, the rules change.

Where I come from, we say almost all of the letters most of the time.  Some swallowing of sounds. 

Silent k words like knife and knee we do say as nife and nee. 

We don't say AFF ri ker for Africa, 

or WAHW tah for water. 

If the word ends with an a, we say an a.  If the word ends with er, we say er. 

Going and doing are not pronounced as goin and doin. 

I pronounce the t in often, but not strongly.  However, the words soften, fasten, listen I don't pronounce the t.  Go figure!

• HMFan
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I learned it as “off-en.” I was wondering when “by accident” changed to “on accident.”

• RP
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The rule didn't change. The word often is pronounced, off - en, accent on first syllable. The "t" is silent.

• 3 weeks ago

Depends on your dialect (where you are from).  I grew up in southern Maine where we said "offen" but had a teacher in fourth grade who said often, which used to drive me absolutely nuts.  I was certain that she was wrong.  she wasn't.  She just wasn't from "here".  I am not sure which version I use these days, I think both, depending on who I am with.  both variants are considered acceptable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It didn't change, at least not in the last 400 years or so. Both pronunciations are correct, although 'offen' is more common these days.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You learned correctly. Whoever "corrected" you is a pompous donkey.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

it didn't change, people use both pronunciations

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.