Phil
Lv 6
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

Was any us President known to have ever carried a gun on themselves?

Update:

while they were President or Vice President

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

I recall an article years ago...I believe on the History Channel website...that listed the Presidents known for carrying guns and was surprised at the number, although most were carried away from the White House and official events.

As to be expected, most were carried by Presidents during our nation's first 100 years.. Washington and Jefferson were both known to carry pistols while traveling...Andrew Jackson had a personal arsenal of pistols while President.

But there were a number in the modern era as well. Teddy Roosevelt was known to carry a small pistol in his pocket.  Truman, Eisenhower LBJ and Reagan all carried revolvers while back home on their farms and ranches.

Fun fact:  Eleanor Roosevelt was known to be a champion for a number of causes and was constantly on the road making speeches and appearances. She was said to loathe the constant "hovering" of the Secret Service and their "nagging" over her safety, so she secured a permit to carry a pistol.

If you've seen pictures or old film footage of the grand old lady making speeches and public appearances, there's a good chance that she's actually packing a revolver (and trained to use it) somewhere beneath all that fine clothes or in that little purse.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, but not trump, he's afraid of guns.

• 4 weeks ago

No, but more than a few of them carried guns on other people. Saved them the bother, you see.

• 4 weeks ago

A few, including George Washington, which are listed on the site below.

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/concealed-carry...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If any did my money is on Andrew Jackson. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Theodore Roosevelt hunted and he led his Rough Riders into battle.  Abraham Lincoln led a militia troop.  JFK was a naval officer in World War Two. Dwight Eisenhower was a career Army officer.  Washington likely carried a sword but he also hunted on his estates.  Andrew Jackson was, I believe, a rifleman. U.S. Grant was a soldier. Ronald Reagan carried firearms in his movies.

I don't know if anyone carried a gun on his person during his presidency.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.