Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

How do you get your parents to give you space?

I’m 21 years old. In my last year of university. Have worked my *** off. Have a 169 LSAT score. Connections in the government. Job offers in the government. Job offers at big financial firms. A fully functioning start up. Have put a Up a down payment on a home. Have a long term girl friend. 

My parents still harass me though. They need to know every single detail of my life. Where I am. What I am doing. Where I am going. What my job offer is. What little details are in there. Who’s my boss. Where is the job. How’s your business doing. What are your grades. 

I have ignored them my whole university career while i excelled. I let them helicopter me in high school and I really struggled. 

Asked them for space because I’m essentially an adult but they screamed at me. 

just move out if youre living with them

• CB

You answer without giving anymore information than is necessary but is not disrespectful. 

Likely they are paying for your college and letting you live in their home (just a guess) - so don't mess that up until you complete your education. Then move out as soon as you graduate and you can chose to answer their phone calls or not. 

• Jesere

They sound smothering,  bide your time till you can get out of their house. Looks like you have great prospects and a good plan.Good luck along with our obvious intelligence 

• Robert

Simply tell they again that you are an adult and while you appreciate their concern it is time for you to handle things by yourself.  Tell them you will enjoy visiting with them and having general discussions about anything, but the nit picky little things like where you were last night when they called, are not a topic you will discuss.  Then assure them that you want to continue a close relationship with them, but if they scream at you, you will not continue it.  Then follow through.  If they think it over, they will call back and apologize and you should accept.  Old habits are difficult to break, but they can be broken.

• Kieth

Move out, and get your own space.