Can I sue my roommate?

Hello everyone!

Quick rundown:

I've been living with two roommates for the past 2 years and am now going on number 3... One of the roommates Adrain is pretty cool and I get along with him just fine. The other is Deana... Shes a very "damaged" person and I feel bad for her but enough is enough... 

Little spice to the story: 

I had them agree before moving in with them, was that if Deana had cats. She had to take care of them and make sure the literbox was cleaned regularly. I have soo many photos of this 1 liter box, that is for 3 cats... Getting so full that there is no where for them to stand. It would be like this for days some times even a week. One of the cats has bumps behind his ears and I'm assuming that's from his paws being covered in ficalmatter... but I could be wrong.

The Real issues:

The first year living together her and her cat were harrassing me. Her cat would literly force his way into my lap for affection and it was super annoying. It was ok at first and cute but when gaming on the PC I couldn't have him bothering me. Well one day I'm sitting on the clutch and he trys to push his head into my lap and it annoyed me so I pushed him off... He kept trying so I went to pick him up to place him on the floor an that's when he went crazy and bit my thumb and scratched my arm up really badly. I now have a scar from it and I wanted to know if I could sue her for that? Obviusly I still have the scar and photos of when it happened. 

Why don't you just close the door to the room so the cat can't come in.  

Anyhow, quite frankly you sound like a real drama queen to me but nonetheless a court would probably give you any provable medical costs associated with the scratch.

• G R

You have waaaaaayyyyy tttoooooo much time on your hands

You probably could if you can show the medical bills you incrurred.

In the USA you can sue anyone at any time, for any reason. Just head down to the county court, get the paperwork, (or download it online), fill it out, file it with the clerk, pay the filing fee, and serve notice of the lawsuit to the defendant.

I suppose what you really meant to ask was whether or not you actually have any chance of winning your lawsuit and collecting a monetary judgement. The answer to that question is a big fat NO. You accepted the risks of living with cats by agreeing to let a roommate move in with cats. You would have to prove that the cat's owner was negligent in some manner. Then you'd have to prove the monetary harm you've suffered - do you have doctor's bills you had to pay? letter from a licensed psychiatrist documenting the mental anguish you suffered due to a minor scratch? other forms of actual proof showing what harm was done and why money would make you whole?- I didn't think so. 

Also if you were playing games and didn't want to be bothered why didn't you just close the door to your private bedroom?

The thought of you winning this lawsuit is laughable. These are the kinds of lawsuits that judges tell stories about at cocktail parties. I can picture the judge who dismisses your case, years from now at a fancy party with politicians, lawyers and other successful people. Some lawyer will tell a story about a crazy client that wanted to hire them for a bogus case, and the judge will respond with the story about the crazy lady who actually went to court to sue their roommate because they got scratched by a cat, and how hard it was for him to hold back his laughter while he dismissed the case.

No, you can't sue her for her cat scratching you months ago. 

No.  You accepted the risks to live with the cat.