No hours but need money for school? Quitting?

Hope you all are having a great day. I’m not.

I just got a call from my employer telling me that they won’t need me today.

I asked for full time hours this summer and am available at all times. So far, I’ve gotten about 25 to 30 hours a week. Next week, I only have 12. 

I really need the money for college so I need a new job, which won’t be hard to find where I live. 

But if I do find a new job and they want me to start working immediately, should I just stop showing up to my current workplace or call to tell them I quit?

I’m asking because I know they won’t take either approaches well. I read that quitting without a notice is against their policies and that I’ll never be able to work for another company of the same parent brand if I do.

But I’m desperate. I really need the money. I can’t give them two weeks of my life if they can’t give me the hours I told them I was expecting to get.

• RP

You should definitely not leave without telling them you are going, but you'd be wise to wait until you have a new job and an actual starting date. You can explain your hours were insufficient to meet your needs and they were less than you indicated you required before starting to work for them. Notwithstanding company policy, if you do that you should leave in good standing and be eligible for rehire, but, given your bad experience with them, you should think twice before ever working for them again.

When you accept the new job, make it conditional upon you not being scheduled during the twelve hours/week to fulfill your prior commitment to work your notice period. 

If you were willing to bail on your current employer without giving notice, I might change my mind about hiring you.   Because it says something about your core basic values and complete inability to solve a very simple problem.

What is wrong with young people these days?   I swear they have cabbage for brains. 

Explain that to your supervisor then, say that you can’t survive without getting more hours and so you either need more or you have to leave and you’d like to leave on friendly terms if at all possible. Also, if it’s so easy to get another job then just put your two weeks notice in right now and by the time it’s up you will have already started your next job.