fish asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

How is my betta setup? ?

I’ve recently got this betta. I cycled the tank before getting it and put other fish in it before putting the betta in. I have a heater, and air stone, a filter, plants etc. The tank is 20-22 Litres. Any thing that you notice I have missed, or anything I could do to improve this?

That's really good! You thought of everything!

It looks good to me.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• kswck2

Bettas are notoriously Bad in currents-they are not strong swimmers. So be careful with the current caused by the filter.

• Ocimom

If you have other fish with the Betta you need a bigger tank.  One Betta is ok in the tank (which is 5 gallons)  The other fish should be put in a larger tank - at least double the size.   Keep temps in the Betta tank about 80 degrees.  Rest of the fish (tropical) should be 75-78 degrees.

• Raven

Is there much current in the water? I think I see a hang on back filter there in back? Bettas HATE water current. It wears them out. If the current is pushing him around put in a sponge filter instead and ditch the hob. Sponge filters are ideal for bettas. Since bettas don't need airstones you can use the air pump and airline to run the sponge filter.

Looks pretty good to me. Hes got everything he needs. The only thing I would add is some driftwood for aesthetics. 

It looks very nice, I would buy a digital thermometer to keep more accurate account of the temp.  especially for when you add new water in after cleaning. 

An airstone is unnecessary for a betta unless maybe he gets ich, or you raise the temp to 86 at some point to treat ich.  If it appears to bother him, you can remove it without concern for his health.  If it doesnt bother him, and you want to keep it, no problem.

It looks like a luxurious and cozy home for him. He’s a pretty betta too. My only suggestion, which is not completely necessary because you have plant decor already, would be to invest in a small hideout for him. He technically has all he needs and more with what you already have - but since he is a betta that means he’s  native To Asia and lives in small puddles ( thus why they keep them in teeny tiny jars at the pet shop) a small, dark hideout might make him feel safe if ever startled. Typically these hardy fish can live in multiple Freshwater environments and can fend for themselves - also why they’re formally know as Siamese/Japanese fighting fish. And in most cases if you add any other fish in the tank, they may be the ones hiding out and taking cover ☺️