Which food dishes are the hardest to cook?

• denise

Probably the ones that have a lot of steps to them.

And those that need to be watched over / stirred / checked constantly.

If our intention is clear then nothing is difficult. If you want to do less, you can relax.

No dish is too hard only in your mind, some have lots of steps that's the challenge you should embrace it as a chef or cook. it's your self drive I have done easy dishes and hard ones  life and cooking is a sport drink it up  

Those that have too many steps to get prepared.

• kswck2

By far, Phyllo Dough. Takes 3 days from scratch.   I made it Once, never again. 

Technology is a Great thing for some ingredients like that, pasta, pizza dough-whatever you Really don't want to make of have the time for. 

Poached eggs, ramen noodles from scratch

There is one thing that I have been debating on because I doubt that the time it takes is worth the result. 

Phyllo dough. Very good quality phyllo dough can be found easily. 

Another that might fall into this category would be puff pastry although it just might be worth it but I can buy good puff pastry as well. 

• CB

I am not sure 'hardest' would be a consideration for me, more like a value to time conundrum. Example, tacos from scratch are easy, quick and tasty. Boeuf Bourguignon  done well is very labor intensive - delicious but the value is not as great due to the time it takes to make. 

As you get to be a better cook the value to time ratios change and the harder, more time consuming dishes become easier and fall into a higher value range. 

Some things, like bread will take longer to master as you need to become familiar with the correct look and feel of the dough (every flour is different, humidity in the cooking environment, ability to accurately measure liquid, size of egg etc.) Even using weight as your measuring technique is not consistent enough to produce quality products every time but you can learn with practice on any dish.

• Goerge

Out of the gate, I would say breads and candies are the most difficult which are both dependent on environmental conditions and the proper technique. A humid day can ruin a batch of candies which were perfect yesterday and the cook needs to have the insight to anticipate what the dish wants. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffgZP-ZKKtI

Youtube thumbnail

I can make many different kinds of breads including baguettes but I can't yet reproduce that sort of crumb in my baguettes. That artisan baker knows his breads and their needs will vary depending on the day. 

I agree with Anony that any dish can be easy or difficult depending on the cook's experience.

Hardest for whom?

I buy fresh tamales from a lady who can make 500 perfect and delicious tamales in a day.   I'm no slouch in the kitchen, but for the life of me, I cannot get the hang of the masa. 

Any dish can be hard until you've learned the proper techniques for that particular dish.