Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

What is the meaning of "dress-ups" here?

In the following paragraph, I am not sure whether "dress-ups" means a costume or grown-up clothes:

"Can you imagine how Mordecai felt on the day of Esther’s banquet as the streets turned into dance floors and royal gifts flowed like wine? How about when he was finally able to catch a glimpse of his beloved charge from a distance with a crown on her head and a queen’s robes on her shoulders? Do you think Mordecai thought she looked like a little girl in dress-ups or did he

suddenly jolt to the sight of a grown-up?"

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Young girls often play "dress-up" in their mother's clothes and pretend to be grown up. Whether they use their mother's clothes or something bought at a costume shop, the game is the same....children dressing up and pretending to be adults.  In the context of your quotation, I don't think there is an effective difference in meaning between a costume or adult clothes. Basically, the author is asking if Mordecai thought Esther looked like a kid pretending to be grown up, or whether he truly saw her as transformed into an adult.

• 4 weeks ago

Play dress-ups is a common game for children. We used to have a trunk full of my grandmother's stuff- hats with veils, and a fur stole. We loved to dress up in these old clothes and pretend we were adults having a tea party. 

• 4 weeks ago

Dress-ups in that context means wearing her best clothes and accessories.  A dress-up is also a literary tool which uses descriptive, fancy and picturesque adjectives. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.