Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 3 weeks ago

Can I make it on a college dance team if I haven’t been on a dance team before?

I’ve been in the dance class at my high school for 3 years now and I will be for one more year, but we don’t really work on very advanced stuff in there. For my senior year of high school I plan on doing a lot of self training to improve my skills and then I want to try out for the dance team at UNT. I haven’t ever been on a dance competition team or a drill team so do you think it will be harder for me to make the team, even if I have a high skill set? And do you think it would be harder for me to pick up on that level of choreography if I did make the team? Just looking for some more opinions.

• drip

Your college audition will require you to pick up choreography quickly. That is how they eliminate dancers, those who can’t. 

A lot will depend on your competition.  What experience the other dancers have. 

Going through an audition is always a good experience to have.  So do give it a try. 

• sam

I think you should audition. Try to look up past examples of what the dance team has done in performances to give you a sense of the level of their choreography. Talk to your current dance teacher and say that you have the goal of making it on the dance team at University. They will be able to watch you in class and give you more specific corrections, and give you things to work on outside of class time. 

Sure, you can try to make the cut as a walk-on despite the fact that you have no experience.