Can they use any type of cotton swab to test for covid ?

I recently went in to the urgent care here in Vegas . I honestly thought the only test that was used was the long cotton swab and they have to go all the way deep inside your nostril.  But all this doctor did was use a regular small cotton swab. And on the door they even said they were out of tests, but once i told him i was showing of fatigue, lightheadedness chills . They just had to test me. Kinda sketchy? 

There's nothing special about the swabs used for coronavirus tests, EXCEPT that they must be *sterile. A standard Q-tip like you'd get from the drug store is not sterile. Sterile swabs are usually packaged individually, in paper or plastic sleeves. So unless you saw the container it came in, you wouldn't know whether it was sterile or not.

Depends on what test kit and media they are using and where it is being sent to test, they have rejection and acceptance criteria, so can’t really answer that.