Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Have you ever used a Carbonated Drink Machine? Did the drink taste good? How much cheaper is it than buying Seltzer?

I love Carbonated Water (no flavors) and I buy about (3) 2 liters a week @ $3.75. 

• Jerry

I've had one of those carbonated drink machines that let you make your own 1L bottles of soda water. And I've had one of 3 Stooges style soda dispensers that squirt fizzy water into your glass. For both, the cost of buying the CO2 cartridges is less than than buying 12 oz cans of Le Croix or 1L bottles of San Pelligrino by the case at a warehouse club like Costco or BJ's. But the high cost Le Croix and Pelligrino is a lot more convenient. 

You might find that the machines are right for you. But in our family we went for the "by the case warehouse club" prices brought the price down to where the inconvenience of the machine wasn't worth the small amount of savings. 

• kswck2

For me, it doesn't pay to buy the machine, buy the supplies over and over again. I only drink Seltzer, and around here it costs about 40 cents per liter. 

I've used one for several years and I love it. I mainly use it to carbonate the water that I drink with some lemon or ginger in it. Some of the syrups are pretty good but I rarely get them. Shop on Facebook Marketplace and you can get one for $15-20. Walmart has the small tanks of co2 for $15. The first one costs $30 and after that you just swap out the tank. Mine usually lasts me several months.

They are expensively prohibitive.

Up to three times the cost of a House Beverage at a market.

The only value is saving the meager transport of the weight of soda from the market.

With the need to buy new Bottles every two years, that makes it nearly impossible to get ahead, price wise.

The Costs of Syrup and Lack of Real Sugar, means the use of sugar substitutes makes the beverages horrible to my tastes. Some are labeled "Diet", but All I can find have substitutes, regardless.

Unless you want to make Soda Water, STAY AWAY from them. Or buy or rent a professional machine (hundreds of dollars) like used at carnivals or large parties.

I have used one in the past.  I do not drink a lot of carbonated beverages so I have not used it in a long time. 

I suggest you look for them at resale shops.  But the cost has come down and the basic ones are pretty inexpensive. 

The nice thing is you control the ingredients. But if all you use it for is water there is usually not a list of ingredients in the carbonated waters. But it is nice to be able to add a fresh fruit flavor with a bit of juice or pieces of fruit. 

The cost of the canister is what will add up.  Bed Bath and Beyond helps out there if you use coupons, and bring the empty canister. (sort of like paying a deposit on a bottle and getting it back when you return the bottle)

Cost wise it might be a tiny bit less expensive than buying bottles.  And you are not tossing out plastic bottles.  (you can buy glass bottles for the Soda Stream)

no, ive never used one

• A.J.

You overpay for seltzer, and unless you buy a large CO2 tank and set up a high volume system, the lower priced ones are based on co2 cartridges that don't save money.

I don't believe they have the old heavy glass seltzer from many years ago that my grandfather delivered.

Since seltzer is only carbonated water, store brand is fine.