Beeping from hallway?

About 6 months ago, a beeping began in my hallway. It is about every 30 seconds. It stopped about 3 months ago on its own. My roof was replaced(so lots of shaking) and the beeping started back up. In the hallway is only a hallway light and the doorbell box. We definitely believe that it is something battery related as we turned off the entire house power and the beeping still continued. We also think it could be coming from the old hardwired doorbell system we have. Anyone have thoughts or experience with something similar?

same thing happened to me. (when I was staying with my elderly mother) SOunds can bounce. It  turns out it was a smoke detector that she bought but never took out of the package. She had it stuffed in the bottom of the linen closet. It came with a battery. The battery got old and started beeping. * chuckles* Do some spring cleaning and go find that mystery smoke detector.

smoke detector beeps when it needs battery replacement, even when it is powered by line voltage most of the time

Rick may have it correct.  Batteries in smoke detectors beep when they get low.  They eventually run out of power and quit beeping.

smoke detector would be my first guess .............