Why do jobs say they hire 16-years-olds when they really don’t?

Many places say the minimum age requirement is 16, but they don’t hire 16-year-olds. Why’s that?

Would you hire a 16 year old kid who doesn't know how to do anything?

Just ignore it, and continue studying. In the real world it's competitive to be able to find, and get work.

What is in your mind is what really matters. There are people who push themselves a lot unlike other people.

For example:

I have a college education, and I am self taught too. After people see what I can do, then maybe someone might try to do what I do, and then realize how hard it is.

I read online about people who are struggling with doing tasks that I can do on my own. I know there are people who try to push their luck with me, and just end up failing because they don't know what is in my mind.

I can get people to notice me, and this is what you are going to have to do if you to work. You would have to be able to sell yourself, but if nobody notices you then I doubt you would be able to get any work.

This is because 16 year olds have to go to school, can't work after 10pm..often have extra curricular activities, AND they want every Friday and Saturday night off so they can go to parties.

Oh, yes...their parents will take them on vacations with no notice...leaving the store or restaurant short staffed.

ALSO:  The unemployment rate is almost 15%.  Employers have their choice of over qualified people who will work the hours and not take off for the weekend.  For every job you apply for, there are 300 other people and half of them have job experience and many of them are over 60 and basically have no life other than visiting their grandchildren for Sunday dinner.

When given the choice of paying $15 an hour for a trained person who can come in and just start...and an untrained person who will probably make mistakes and has no idea about working...and that person will be going to school in the fall...  you take the safest bet...and that is the 60 year old grampa, who has experience and can work any hours.

Sounds like they just don't want to hire you.

ETA: No, they just don’t want YOU. I had my first job at 14, so saying no companies will 16 year olds is BS.

Where I live it has a whole lot to do with the minimum wage which is $16/hour.   If employers can hire a mature adult to do a job for $16/hour, why would they hire a 16 year old?

If employers could pay kids $12/hour, it would give employers more incentive to put up with the crap that comes with hiring people who are not yet adults.    But if the minimum they can pay anyone is $16/hour, they're going to take the applicant most likely to succeed. 

They "can" hire 16 yr olds...  They will prefer the 18+ tho.   Minors have restrictions regarding hours and what tasks they can do.

The adult with open avaiablity is going to be considered for hire first.

What jobs, specifically?

And they may but not when they can get more mature & experienced workers for the same wage. I started working at 14. It took a dozen no's in person before I got a yes.

Later, as a manager, I hired a 16, 17 and 18 year old.

Only 4 places?  Try, try again.

They may already have other job applicants who happen to be older than sixteen, and are therefore more "qualified" or mature.