L asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 3 weeks ago

Are there any manual tools that I can use to put a hole into metal other than a drill?

Based on the position of the metal I cannot hammer a screw in to make a hole.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

!/4"... that's pretty thick metal..The only thing I can think of other than some variation on drill is an acetylene torch if you don't need precision.

• 3 weeks ago

try using a punch or awl to start your hole ... with a good one, you can hammer on the handle end and it won't break

• 3 weeks ago

People usually use a NAIL to start  / put a hole in metal if they do not have a drill.  Would a long spike reach back to the metal ??  If the metal is thin you could try a self-tapping screw.   Sounds like you need to buy or borrow a drill.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Not really clear what the issue is here. You can get flexible drills extenders that can reach into awkward places. Without any idea of size of hole or thickness of metal it is difficult to advise.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Based on the position of the metal I cannot hammer a screw in to make a hole.

Move the metal. I you can't reach the place you want the hole, no tool can correct that.

Update: The answers saying to use a nail, awl, etc CANNOT work if there isn't room to use a screw.

• 3 weeks ago

You can use an awl.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can use your x ray eyes sorry for the joke i am stumped 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.