Jada asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 3 weeks ago

Who has right of way?

Theres an intersection right outside my apartment complex that confuses a lot of drivers concerning a specific scenario: two vehicles are sitting at an intersection opposite from each other and are going to turn onto the same road; so someone is turning left and someone is turning right. Both of them have regular green lights (no arrows) and there are no signs mentioning whether either has to yield on green or not. Who has right of way? As it is now, people end up staring at each other from across the intersection trying to figure out who's going first.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

In countries where you drive on the right, such as the U.S., Canada, and most of the EU, the person turning right goes first and the person turning left waits.  You don't need a sign to tell you who yields: anyone turning left without an arrow always yields.

I would guess that it's the opposite in countries where you drive on the left, such as the UK, but I don't know that.

• 3 weeks ago

The left turning driver yields to the driver turning right.

• Kaz
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In the U.S. the person making the right has the right of way.  If the other person was turning left AND possibly crossing in front of any oncoming traffic - cars that might be going straight, rather than turning - they'd have to wait until it was clear.

• 3 weeks ago

The driver turning left must yield to the driver turning right or going straight. That's in the book. You read it and forgot.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Unless you are asking about a country where they drive on the left, The person turning right has the right of way. Another way of looking at it is that the car turning directly into a lane on another street has the right of way over someone who has to cross a lane to make their turn. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.