Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Don't you think it might be safer to believe in God, just in case?

59 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes

John 11: 25-26

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever lived and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

• 3 weeks ago

You can't *pretend* to believe in God.  You either believe or you don't.

@ JC -- Sorry the concept goes over your head.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • 4 weeks ago

It is only safe to believe God.

• Caesar
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Don't you think it might be safer to believe in Ahura Mazda, just in case?

Don't you think it might be safer to believe in Brahma, just in case?

Don't you think it might be safer to believe in Odin, just in case?

No, I don't think that because the very idea of gods is a product of the human imagination. It is quite understandable why primitive people, who were so much more exposed to the overpowering forces of nature than we are today, should have personified these forces in fear and trembling make gods...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Wow, I haven't heard Pascal's Wager in a whole 5  minutes!

• 4 weeks ago

Maybe that would work with believing in the magical Santa since there is only one version that people seem to agree upon. With God, it is really with Gods/Goddesses, where if you were a Goddess, wouldn't you be really peeved that humans wanted a dude.

When it comes to the concept of Gods, there are so many variables to contend with when defining the concept and no real support with evidence and reasoning to hone in on any particular God or Goddess, it's literally like playing the lottery where even non-belief in man made Gods/Goddesses could potentially be the safer bet.

You could also perceive the question from the perspective of is it safer to believe you can jump off a tall building and fly. Well in this case, it is clearly no, it's not safer, thus demonstrating unwarranted beliefs could actually be fatal. We even have evidence of harm coming from unfounded religious beliefs to support that in fact it may not be safer to just believe with no good reasoning to support the belief.

As a final note, the concept of God itself can never be defined without contradictions because the concept like a square circle is literally impossible, thus you cannot have a definition that works, just a concept that leaves fools trying their best. If Gods cannot exist, what we are looking at is purely how the belief makes people feel, where we can agree that sometimes belief is a good thing, but most people never get to that point, they just desire to get there. Sort of like how most overweight people never manage to lose the weight, they just desire to lose the weight. That is your typical religious person, high hopes but always making excuses.

• 4 weeks ago

Anyone thinking that must take God to be a fool. And that's not going to enhance anyone's chances of getting right with God. Not that 'chance' even comes into it. God, being God, states His requirements for sinners to be saved from the dire consequences of their sin against Him. Only when the Holy Spirit so convicts them of their sin that they cry out to God for forgiveness, and place all their faith in what the Son of God did to save them, will they be safe - safe for eternity. Not just 'chancing it' by hoping to be on 'the safe side'. How stupid would any god have to be to accept that attitude, as if it was equal to believing in God due to conviction of His love for them?

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You can't just decide to believe in someone. You have to look at the evidence, and give the person a chance to introduce themself to you, as God has done for hundreds of millions of people alive today.

• Carym
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

All "TRUTH" finds fulfilment in God, for He is the grounds of all truth. "Trust is not negotiable because Truth is not negotiable." Without Him everything could be doubted as having no reality. That said, God's faithfulness is bound up within this attribute.

So, let's delve a little deeper... In John we find the conviction deeply rooted that all things happen in accordance with the decrees of God: events are the results of His purposes. Now the Bible explicitly describes the unbeliever's ultimate destiny, intensity and permanence: [Psalm 11:6]; [Matthew 3:12]; [Matthew 13:40-42 & 50]; [Matthew 18:8]; [Matthew 25:41 & 46]; [Mark 9:43] & [Luke 3:17]; [Hebrews 10:27]; [Revelation 14:9-11 & 14-15; 20:10; 21:8].

Just know that God does not punish men from passion, but from a fixed, unalterable principle (and after numerous warnings). Neither does He punish from pleasure [Ezekiel 18:23]. He is essentially benevolent. Therefore, we should not take God's warnings lightly.

God’s immutability should be a terror to the wicked---those who oppose Him, break His laws, live without any thought of Him, and who seek, not HIS glory but their own. Therefore, His standards, holiness, wrath, and judgement toward sinners also remain unchanged. >>So, whilst still this side of the grave, we must incline our ears to hear and act on His call. Because no one can empty or prevent the "Cup of God's Fury" after the curtain has fallen.

• 4 weeks ago

Pascale's wager, I believe that is what its called. Probably wouldn't fool a very particular mind reading diety. Also its better to be authentic to yourself, rather than hedging your bet. If I were God I would respect that more.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.