Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

What books could you recommend for my age and gender ?

I'm female but I'm at that in between age (27). Too old for young adult fiction but too young for women's romance/drama books which seem to be all about older women in their late 30s early 40s who have been divorced or gone through many relationships. I've kissed a few dorks but I've never been a long term relationship.

I'm into mainly drama and romance. Not into crime,science fiction, fantasy or historical fiction. 

• Spike

MAYBE these books for your reading list.

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck 

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester

Firefly Lane: A Novel by Kristin Hannah 

Fly Away: A Novel by Kristin Hannah 

Hotel Vendome: A Novel by Danielle Steel 

Underwater: A Novel by Marisa Reichardt 

The Late Child: A Novel by Larry McMurtry 

The Lilies of the Field by William E Barrett

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul (originally published as A Cup of Friendship): A Novel by Deborah Rodriguez 

"Pride and Prejudice" or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I don't think you can go wrong as an adult woman with Anne Rivers Siddons, who has long been one of my very favourite American female authors. Her writing is of a very high level, colourful and witty, and her characters very believable, while the settings move between North Carolina and Maine.

I recommend Short Storia But True by Sabino Rosa

is wonderful and you can find it even likes e-book

• Andrew

I've never been to outer space, so does that mean that I shouldn't bother reading books that take place on a star-ship or feature aliens? I've never lived in the first half of the 20th Century either, so should I eschew anything written before I was born? 

You're 27 years old, not 7 years old. 7 year old children read age appropriate books, or at least stick to books that are interesting enough and simple and straightforward enough to be enjoyed and understood by a child that age. But at the age of 27, you don't have any need to stick to books that are geared to people of any specific age. You should be reading what interests you. 

If your reading material is always based on your age and gender and specific to your life experiences, then you're going to be working from a very short list.

You ought to try these:

William Boyd "Restless" 

Albert Camus "The Stranger"

Joseph Conrad "Victory"

Jonathan Safran Foer "Everything is Illuminated"

Ken Follett "The Pillars of the Earth"

Alex Garland "The Beach"

Graham Greene "Brighton Rock"

Ernest Hemingway "A Farewell to Arms"

Gaston Leroux "The Phantom of the Opera"

Haruki Murakami "Norwegian Wood"

The collected short stories of Dorothy Parker

Sylvia Plath "The Bell Jar"

Anne Rice "Interview With a Vampire"

Leon Uris "Trinity"

Kurt Vonnegut "Bluebeard"

• Marli

The heroines / protagonists of most of the romance novels I have read were between 23 and 30. Having had at least one complete sexual affair before meeting The One seems to be the norm now. The "Harlequin Presents" and "Love Inspired" lines are the least sexy in formula romance fiction.  There are also Christian themed romance from Bethany House publishers.

What do you like in non-fiction? There are memoirs and biographies of contemporary people. The are travel books, devotional books, fashion and decorating books, etc.

Perhaps you should consider books about older women. At least don't limit yourself to your own decade.

Educate yourself and read some non-fiction for a change. Self-education never hurts. 

Anyone claiming to be 27 years old and not yet ready for adult books is a troll.

• Ludwig

Why read fiction?  Why not read some biographies, travel books, history or popular science?

I'm nor sure where you're finding your romance, but you need to look elsewhere, because there's a huge volume of romance books with heroines in their 20's. I haven't seen any statistics, but my impression is that they make up the majority of the genre (my mother has a whole cupboard full).

Go to Amazon - books - romance and then pick your preferred sub-genre. There'll be loads.

For drama it will probably require a bit more research to find characters in your age group, but there should still be plenty.