Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Is it weird that I don't tell people I'm a professional athlete when they ask what I do for a living?

I'm a professional athlete (not an A-list professional athlete obviously), so I don't have name recognition. When people ask what I do, I just tell them I'm a personal trainer (because people often comment how muscular I am). Is this weird? I don't like to draw attention to myself

Could be worse.  You could be a professional on-screen sex entertainment worker.  Now THAT would be a fun conversation.

It depends on your motivations - keep asking yourself - why do I don't want to draw attention to myself? When you get a truthful answer, ask another 'why'.

I can assume that you don't want attention because your psychic tells you that it will take a lot of energy if people will know the truth. They will curiously ask you a lot of questions and you will be exhausted, or you spent a lot of time to be an athlete - you developed your strategy and it became a difficult thing a few people would understand what you talking about at all/ Thus, you don't want to spend time and energy to explain this to profanes. In that case, it if not weird.

But, that's only my theory. You need to dig deep if you want an answer.

I'm not a professional athlete or a personal trainer so I don't know what reactions someone would get, but if you think that's best, then that's fine.  Do you play for a minor league team?  That's still really cool and I'd rather be told that by someone, I think.

That's not weird.  People have a lot of preconceived notions and I entirely understand why you don't want to deal with that.

I do not think that's a reasonable question to ask,

if you just met the person.

If it's a friend,tell them.

Not really. I can think of a lot of reasons why you might do that: Modesty, you don't want to explain to them what you mean by professional, you don't want to intimidate them or make them feel the need to be competitive with you, you want to keep that part of your life separate (perhaps to help you maintain focus), you don't want to be asked dumb questions (how much do you earn? do you know so-and-so? what does it pay?), etc.

• JuanB

What you do for a living is a boring question asked by boring people.  If someone asks me what I do for a living I am so tempted to answer  "As little as possible."  

If at a party, a bar, a sporting event....anything fun who wants to talk about work?  (Answer: boring people)

I consider it weird that you lie every time someone asks a perfectly reasonable question and the truthful answer is nothing to be ashamed of.

Where's the undue attention in saying, "I'm a pro bowler" or "I play lacrosse for a living"?

You'd probably talk about your work or the business in general, just like you would if you'd said "I sell paper products for Dunder Mifflin," then you ask what they do, and voila, you are now free to talk about whatever you want.